• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Pattern Disco- 2013

Damage In Tolland

I finally found the conversation regarding a potential ice storm this weekend for NNE. 

I live in Grand Isle, VT and actually had planned a trip to Montreal on the 22nd and 23rd, driving. 

How concerned should I be at this point in time? I'm thinking about buying a generator just based on the talk 5 days out.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally found the conversation regarding a potential ice storm this weekend for NNE.

I live in Grand Isle, VT and actually had planned a trip to Montreal on the 22nd and 23rd, driving.

How concerned should I be at this point in time? I'm thinking about buying a generator just based on the talk 5 days out.

. Getting a generator is never a bad idea in NNE

I'm sure Euro ens were mild, but are they colder than the heat the op has?

that warmth probably won't translate to the sfc too well.   The snow pack will take a huge hit, and may disappear outside of piles at that, but ... albido combined with a snow pack at this time of year will negatively feed-back and will effect on the sounding.  

What I think is weird is that here we are going along with this persistent cold and then there's just this errant short duration mega-spike. 

It's gonna have to obliterate 16 inches here. It's frustrating to see such deep arctic air over Quebec and yet the SE ridge bulges to Summertime levels. Lots of very dense fog coming if this verifies. 

that warmth probably won't translate to the sfc too well.   The snow pack will take a huge hit, and may disappear outside of piles at that, but ... albido combined with a snow pack at this time of year will negatively feed-back and will effect on the sounding.  

What I think is weird is that here we are going along with this persistent cold and then there's just this errant short duration mega-spike.

I know that the boundary stayed south of us around Albany. We had mostly cold rain ..mid 30's with only a bit of ice. The very serious ice started around exit 30 of the Northway and extended north to near Ste. Agathe. Further up near Tremblant it was almost all snow and a lot of it.

I think there were 70s in PA during the Quebec/NY North Country Ice Storm in January 1998.  

If you are thinking about snowpack disaster, pay no attention to 850s...the 925mb and SFC levels are much colder. Some of the models have had low 30s at the surface under +10 850s.

Yeah I mean we know there will be some shallow cool air that will linger much longer than models have esp with 10-15 inch snowpack thruout the region. But I think our biggest worry is a day / night where it's like 50/48 with fog or something . If it's just 10 hours we can probably save some cover , but it's still a worry. I do like that cold high nosing down but we need more help still

This is our salvation, that the models blow it trying to force that warm air in so fast at the surface. We sit at  35-40 most of Sunday before briefly blowing it out and mixing it down on sw winds overnight Sunday and a few hours of 50's before the crash and flash freeze Monday morning.

I can easily forsee places like BUF being 50+ for 36 hours and I'm 50+ for only a few hours.

If you are thinking about snowpack disaster, pay no attention to 850s...the 925mb and SFC levels are much colder. Some of the models have had low 30s at the surface under +10 850s.

This is our salvation, that the models blow it trying to force that warm air in so fast at the surface. We sit at  35-40 most of Sunday before briefly blowing it out and mixing it down on sw winds overnight Sunday and a few hours of 50's before the crash and flash freeze Monday morning.

I can easily forsee places like BUF being 50+ for 36 hours and I'm 50+ for only a few hours.

Will the temp matter all that much if you end up with 3 or 4" of rain?  lol

Are there any signs of a better Atlantic down the road? Or are we strictly relying out west again?

Relying on the west...but its going to be good.

It would be nice to get a little help to the northeast to generate a few coastals. I like the frequent events but would like something more dynamic as we get deeper into the winter

Yeah I mean we know there will be some shallow cool air that will linger much longer than models have esp with 10-15 inch snowpack thruout the region. But I think our biggest worry is a day / night where it's like 50/48 with fog or something . If it's just 10 hours we can probably save some cover , but it's still a worry. I do like that cold high nosing down but we need more help still

lol, Are you seriously suggesting that by the time the torch gets here there will be a minimim of 10" of snow on the ground region wide? Did I mention lol?

Archived