CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December Pattern Disco- 2013

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well aside from the annual Grinch Storm look next week...the pattern reloads and looks excellent going forward...just a continuous supply of frigid air from Canada and we build up a bit of a PNA ridge for a time...then it looks like it might go a bit more gradient again late in the period. But overall a good look.

Hopefully we can trend next week south to keep the White xmas.

This season reminds me an awful lot of 2008-09....'07-'08 tailed off a lot more than I expect this one to.

Got going a little later in December, too...

I don't expect March to be a dud this season, though...

I would think if we don't see them go colder at 00z tonight..it's green grass and sleigh's on wheels to the Canadian border for Christmas unfortunately. I hope noone is hoping for that.

"to the Canadian border" is hyperbole?  The only time I've seen 12" snowpack disappear in NNE during met winter was in Jan 1995, and it took minima as much as 40F above avg to do it.  Nothing's impossible, but it would take a real Grrrrrrinch!

Well the main wave on Sunday only tracks about 50 miles to my northwest on the 18Z GFS so I am not throwing in the towel yet. No big adjustment is necessary.

On the gridded data there is a flash freeze behind it at ALB: 60 at 4 PM Sunday and 33 by 1 AM Monday. Hopefully it's going a little crazy with that 60...  It might wait till the bitter end to mix that kind of mild air down to the surface here.

I think our only hope may be if we get that wave to track so far west that it has less impacts our sensible wx. That would let that cold high nosing in from Quebec to try and ooze in LL cold. If the storm tries running up the St Lawrence RV we're f'd

InJanuary '96 we had a brutal rainy thaw which wiped out almost all the snow that had fallen in late Dec. and the Bliz. of 96. Then the pattern reloaded nicely. It literally melted 4 feet of snow off the Catskills and only around 6 inches remained.  I can't speak for Northern NE.

In January 1978 the notorious storm headed for the lakes with a blizzard for them. That wiped out just about all of the two plus feet of snow that we had on the ground after the January Nor'easters. We know that reload went pretty well in early February 1978.

So I'm hoping not to be wiped out before Xmas, but unfortunately it's a typical part of our climo.

"to the Canadian border" is hyperbole?  The only time I've seen 12" snowpack disappear in NNE during met winter was in Jan 1995, and it took minima as much as 40F above avg to do it.  Nothing's impossible, but it would take a real Grrrrrrinch!

That torch sucks. Still have time to work on this, but it does not look good.

Yeah time is running out to fix this...we'll need the Euro ensembles to bail us out somewhat tonight to reverse the trend, or we are looking at a pretty ugly 2-3 day stretch.

"to the Canadian border" is hyperbole? The only time I've seen 12" snowpack disappear in NNE during met winter was in Jan 1995, and it took minima as much as 40F above avg to do it. Nothing's impossible, but it would take a real Grrrrrrinch!

Ginxy has been calling that one for a month now...only a matter of time till Blizz calls for melting all the way to Hudson Bay. It may very well melt but it's not as easy as he makes it sound.

HPC seems to be rather consistent and have high confidence in the overall set up and flow.  Also, they keep the frontal boundary in SNE.  Would suggest a huge gradient between SNE and CNE/NNE.  Also they talk of a moist southern stream running up into the Ohio valley and a broad SW flow into the northeast aloft.  Not sure how this would transfer at the surface. But GYX doesn't seem aggressive with the warmth up here and has chances of precip Fri-Sun, and then much colder Monday.  Also HPC has low pressure just off carolina georgia coast on Monday.

Doesn't seem like much of a warmup up this way.

Archived