• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Pattern Disco- 2013

Damage In Tolland

It's going to be mild to start for at least 24 hrs. I feel confident on that. Then the first front moves through. After that a second wave moves in...but that easily could be a 36F heavy rain. It's basically threading a needle with the second event.

That is a much better tone to speak to folks in.

Let's just let the cards fall where they may. We really have no idea what's going to happen. 

Maybe it in the 40's for 12 hours..maybe it's 1 day. We should have a good idea by Thursday where the boundary wants to set up

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a much better tone to speak to folks in.

Let's just let the cards fall where they may. We really have no idea what's going to happen. 

Maybe it in the 40's for 12 hours..maybe it's 1 day. We should have a good idea by Thursday where the boundary wants to set up

well it's not as though we have control over it. but we do try and get it right...it's kind of what we do. 

What we have is a period of time where the EPO pulses positive however at the same time the PNA also pulses positive thereby continuing an Arctic feed into the USA, as soon as the PNA relaxes the EPO heads back negative. I agree with your assessment, last week of Dec is colder than normal, probably stormy too.

As the PNA goes positive, it will be interesting to see if we can get a trough to develop downstream in the East toward the end of December/start of January.

So far, it's been a fun December. Hopefully, tomorrow's clipper will overperform.

They need to stop running the weekly CFSv2 every day. That does nothing, but cause chaos. Operationally, it's crap to have that run daily. At least the montly version uses an ensemble of previous data over the last 30 days.

It's actually run four times a day to create an "ensemble" of 40 members over the last 10 days of runs.

This was my six week forecast issued on 11/22/13. First six week forecast issued on 10/17 was pretty good with 5 out of 6 weeks going the way I had thought. Hope I am wrong about the Grinch.

experimental and for fun

WE 12/13/13

Continued well below normal with some snow chances during this period with LES events  -3 to -6

W/E 12/20/13

Much warmer period with a significant  snow to rain event for SNE possible heavy snow way inland before  a warm spell +2-+5 possible snowstorm on the 21st

WE 12/27/13

Much warmer with a possible Grinch storm cutter temps +3,+5

W/E 1/4/14

Return to below normal cold possible coastal snowstorm around the 4th -2,-4

W/E 1/11/14

Much warmer than normal throught the NE , +4-+6

W/E 1/18/14 coldest air of the season with a possible record setting cold -4 to -7, clipper Miller B

As the PNA goes positive, it will be interesting to see if we can get a trough to develop downstream in the East toward the end of December/start of January.

So far, it's been a fun December. Hopefully, tomorrow's clipper will overperform.

Yea its been fun, hopefully we get a great end. I just hate seeing rain storms right before Christmas but we have no control. I just heard on WCBS 880 how good the cold and snow has been for the economy from all sectors. 

They need to stop running the weekly CFSv2 every day. That does nothing, but cause chaos. Operationally, it's crap to have that run daily. At least the montly version uses an ensemble of previous data over the last 30 days.

I don't disagree. The run-to-run variability is very high. Subjectively, I've seen a number of cases where one could try to extrapolate from the changes taking place on the GFS ensembles approaching 360 hours and have a better idea about the week 3 anomalies than what the CFSv2 shows. However, I don't look at the CFSv2 weekly anomalies beyond weeks 1-2 very often, so I'm not sure how often the above observation holds true.

Yea its been fun, hopefully we get a great end. I just hate seeing rain storms right before Christmas but we have no control. I just heard on WCBS 880 how good the cold and snow has been for the economy from all sectors. 

It wouldn't be Christmas without a Grinch storm. At least last year we had a bit of snow.

I don't disagree. The run-to-run variability is very high. Subjectively, I've seen a number of cases where one could try to extrapolate from the changes taking place on the GFS ensembles approaching 360 hours and have a better idea about the week 3 anomalies than what the CFSv2 shows. However, I don't look at the CFSv2 weekly anomalies beyond weeks 1-2 very often, so I'm not sure how often the above observation holds true.

To be honest I hardly ever look at them. They should run it like the euro weeklies on Monday and Thursday to get more of a apples to apples comparison. The seasonal version looks near to below in the nrn tier for January.

Yeah I left all that part out. The E1-E3...etc. But the point is that a daily forecast of a 1-4 week outlook is a recipe for instability in a forecast. 

Absolutely. I mean using previous runs kind of smooths out the forecast but it's not really a scientifically rigorous way of getting "true" forecast anomalies and spread. I agree they should run an ensemble where the same initial conditions are perturbed, but run it once a week.

62/59 Sunday?

That has to be close to record warmth...lol. You're a mean one...Mr. Grinch. 

I left our morning met such a crappy forecast... I feel bad lol.

Today's warmth is over performing... not nearly as cold as I thought, 2-5" for tomorrow is a little bullish after overnight runs, and the weekend forecast is a mess. 

Archived