• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Pattern Disco- 2013

Damage In Tolland

It would be nice to get a little help to the northeast to generate a few coastals. I like the frequent events but would like something more dynamic as we get deeper into the winter

Yeah I agree...but unfortunately looks like we'll be waiting at least another 2-3 weeks. No real signs of it. Some of the analogs rolled forward do give blocking in mid/late January in the Atlantic....Jan 15-30, 2000 being near the top of the list along with 2nd half of January 1961.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree...but unfortunately looks like we'll be waiting at least another 2-3 weeks. No real signs of it. Some of the analogs rolled forward do give blocking in mid/late January in the Atlantic....Jan 15-30, 2000 being near the top of the list along with 2nd half of January 1961.

60/61 is sacred territory

It would be nice to get a little help to the northeast to generate a few coastals. I like the frequent events but would like something more dynamic as we get deeper into the winter

Tough to complain given the period 11/10-12/17 so far overall.

I just like the big storms during the meat of the winter season...so hopefully down the road we can get a few slower movers. The 6-8 hour deals are fun but I always feel like you see the end approaching an hour after it starts.

Prob blasphemy to mention it as an analog, but late Dec 1960 has been showing up continuosly as an analog for the pattern beyond Xmas. That winter lived largely on a good PAC...though there were some mild episodes of Atlantic blocking during January.

Late Dec '99 has been a very popular analog too and of course rolled forward, we get the decent pattern in mid to late January 2000. Jan 2009 is in there too but that only had any real Atlantic blocking the first 10 days of that month.

its funny to think about - some people were jumping all over the whole "gradient" thing and SWFE discussion...now at mid-month...seems to have performed well.

Yup, myself included ...i jumped the gun the first week or so when it was just cold, rain, cold, rain. But i learn and move on.

oh that wasn't aimed at anyone - i just meant it's funny how much difference 7-10 days can make.

It would be nice to get a little help to the northeast to generate a few coastals. I like the frequent events but would like something more dynamic as we get deeper into the winterpatience grasshopper, we are setup

yeah i'm sure they will come at some point. it's been a long stretch without much activity in that respect.

we really didn't get any big fall coastals...so have to go back to March pretty much.

oh that wasn't aimed at anyone - i just meant it's funny how much difference 7-10 days can make.

Its cool. I laugh at myself often while also being the first one to admit mistakes. Im not here to prove anything. Just enjoy and fascinated by weather as most of us are while trying to learn some of the more technical stuff that you taggers talk about.

Got it.

Was living in DC at the time of the Jan 96 blizzard. Awesome stuff. ...Followed by a move to Boston literally the day before April 1, 1997. Right places at the right times I suppose.

Geez. Lemme know the next time you move. Cuz there I was moving from CT to NC the week before the Feb blizzard last winter lol. Wrong place at the wrong time.

It is for NYC folks. It was our uber winter growing up. Early and frequent snow but after the huge KU of 2/3-4/61, it was essentially over. Looking at the numbers it was a bit less impressive wrt climo here in Boston. But fortunately, I experienced it in nj.

Geez. Lemme know the next time you move. Cuz there I was moving from CT to NC the week before the Feb blizzard last winter lol. Wrong place at the wrong time.

lol. 2 other awesome snow events that I just happened to be around for- I think Jan 2004 in Seattle when the had a good size snow for that city that they hadnt had in years. Then another time either 04 or 05 march (i think) North Carolina. Crazy weather system gave Charlotte 16 or so inches while it rained all around.

Archived