SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to converge on an idea which will be my first guess for the DC area:

Start out as rain, change to snow tues night/wed morning, SN+ or TSSN banding during Wed, taper wed night.  Will have some wind, but blizzard conditions for 3+ hours won't verify.

10-15" DC, S&E suburbs

15-20" N&W suburbs

Large gradient of snow totals along I-95 between fredericksburg and baltimore.  I don't believe sleet or ZR will occur, from what I see on the soundings.  What will hold down totals for DC / SE is rain that will be slow to change to snow, and low ratios.  Going to be really tough to shovel, be careful with your backs (and your hearts).  Take lots of breaks.  Hoping for minimal power outages, but there will be some of those.

Someone with elevation (blue ridge) might see up to 22-25" and be on the top of the snow totals in the public info statements.

Very very bullish in my opinion, but good luck. I don't think a widespread 12"+ is likely, except for maybe the far north/west suburbs because lower elevations could have a number of issues, such as a 33-34 degree boundary layer which tends to be much more stubborn in melting snow on contact than higher grounds (I saw this for myself on 1/26/2011 when I was at UMD). Even with the colder burbs, I can't come up with any reason to think they'll get significantly more than the 8-14" they saw on 1/26/2011. The NAM is obviously overdone, I also think the 18z GFS with its DC bullseye is a bit much.

Archived