SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was visiting my dad in st. Mary's county in 03 where we got 7" of snow followed by about 5"of sleet. It was not a fun experience, especially since where I lived in moco had 22" on the ground even when I got home a week later. Made up for it big time though in 2010. Honestly, all I'm really looking for at this point is a good period of +TSSN. I've had my super high total fix for now. Still would love to see this in the 15-20" range which I don't think is out of the question here in moco.Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

In Upper Marlboro we had about 14" of snow followed by sleet practically all afternoon followed by snow later that evening for a total of 19" Had it not been for the sleet, I would've had 2-ft or more...

Being able to experience 09-10 without having to worry much (if at all) about being hampered by a sleet changeover makes the season that much more exceptional.

yes, I have some health issues and shoveling a foot and a half of snow would be trying at this point.

I do have a snow blower so that takes some of the worry off me.

Got it...it is easy to get wrapped up in just the fun part of the storm...and this will be some wet snow like shoveling soaked rags...be careful

For parts of the mid-Atlantic(toward Philadelphia and south near Stafford) that is pretty close but for us here in the DC area, the fall line is quite a bit further west. Think Great Falls. That is the fall line.

Nah, Great Falls, IAD and Rockville are well to the west of the fall line.

Found this map

location_big.gif

I'm starting to converge on an idea which will be my first guess for the DC area:

Start out as rain, change to snow tues night/wed morning, SN+ or TSSN banding during Wed, taper wed night.  Will have some wind, but blizzard conditions for 3+ hours won't verify.

10-15" DC, S&E suburbs

15-20" N&W suburbs

Large gradient of snow totals along I-95 between fredericksburg and baltimore.  I don't believe sleet or ZR will occur, from what I see on the soundings.  What will hold down totals for DC / SE is rain that will be slow to change to snow, and low ratios.  Going to be really tough to shovel, be careful with your backs (and your hearts).  Take lots of breaks.  Hoping for minimal power outages, but there will be some of those.

Someone with elevation (blue ridge) might see up to 22-25" and be on the top of the snow totals in the public info statements.

I'm starting to converge on an idea which will be my first guess for the DC area:

Start out as rain, change to snow tues night/wed morning, SN+ or TSSN banding during Wed, taper wed night.  Will have some wind, but blizzard conditions for 3+ hours won't verify.

10-15" DC, S&E suburbs

15-20" N&W suburbs

Large gradient of snow totals along I-95 between fredericksburg and baltimore.  I don't believe sleet or ZR will occur, from what I see on the soundings.  What will hold down totals for DC / SE is rain that will be slow to change to snow, and low ratios.  Going to be really tough to shovel, be careful with your backs (and your hearts).  Take lots of breaks.  Hoping for minimal power outages, but there will be some of those.

Someone with elevation (blue ridge) might see up to 22-25" and be on the top of the snow totals in the public info statements.

I will this forecast and run with it...thanks.

10-15" DC, S&E suburbs

15-20" N&W suburbs

Wow. Bullish. And I will take that 22-25 thank you very much. Thanks for posting this!

Archived