joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm nobody seems to be talking about wind potential, hit more miss I'd like to know what we could expect with that.

With the scenario depicted on the American models this afternoon... power outages will be a serious, serious issue... wet snow and wind... not good

for us at low elevation I'd probably take 70% of QPF since it is obscene and then use 7:1 or 8:1 ratios...If I was forecasting off the 18z GFS, I'd probably go 10-14" for DCA/Cap Hill and 15-20" for Rockville etc...

DCA would have a good shot at getting in the range of 11/11/87, 3/29/42, 2/23/87 type totals...those would be decent analogs I think for the type of storm you would get on teh coastal plain.....

I bet watches get posted with tomorrow mornings package

"A Winter Storm Watch is issued when there is the potential for significant and hazardous winter weather within 48 hours." 

That'd be right on the cusp. I think you'll start seeing them show up after the 12z suite for southern parts of the CWA.  

Below: Yes, the radar is about an hour ahead...but I've circled a few areas (Intellicast also doesn't exactly snag Canada, either) Also note the 850 temps. Granted, this is only 15 hours out -> but these are the things that I'm looking at.

gfsfw_zps2750bdbc.pngThat being said - I think Philadelphia is still very much in the game - I'm not sold on the New England idea yet, I'm still favoring the Euro's tougher ballgame with the confluence by a hair. But pattern recognition may well come into play.

With the scenario depicted on the American models this afternoon... power outages will be a serious, serious issue... wet snow and wind... not good

lol... as a met student don't hate me for hearing exactly what i wanted to hear

for us at low elevation I'd probably take 70% of QPF since it is obscene and then use 7:1 or 8:1 ratios...If I was forecasting off the 18z GFS, I'd probably go 10-14" for DCA/Cap Hill and 15-20" for Rockville etc...

I'd go less for DC. Maybe 6 to 10, or even 4 to 8 for DC and  8 to 16 for NW burbs.  When the snow is extremely wet, my experience is the city usually busts low.  Remember in Jan 2011, Much of DC ended up with less than 5 inches cause snow was so wet and melting from underneath as fast as it was falling. DC also busted low -- almost nothing, despite a WSW for 6 inches- during that mini storm a few days before Feb. 5, 2010,  With that said, real potential here for big time tree/power issues.

There were actually big changes on this run.

SNE gets hit with precip

Storm bombs offshore to 984mb

Storm is slower to exit.

These all make sense given that there is a strong closed H5 low.  It was the quick moving 1002mb solutions  that had me scratching my head. This is not a  progressive flow.

I'd go less for DC. Maybe 6 to 10, or even 4 to 8 for DC and  8 to 16 for NW burbs.  When the snow is extremely wet, my experience is the city usually busts low.  Remember in Jan 2011, Much of DC ended up with less than 5 inches cause snow was so wet and melting from underneath as fast as it was falling. DC also busted low -- almost nothing, despite a WSW for 6 inches- during that mini storm a few days before Feb. 5, 2010,  With that said, real potential here for big time tree/power issues.

Always remember - Forecasting has always been stupid with numbers. 20% chance of rain? 20% of the area gets it/ 20% chance it falls over the whole area, part of the area?

Same goes for snow. Those of us who measure with boards/gauges might find that DC Proper could well have a foot of snow. But what sticks and what falls...two different animals. That's where physics becomes fun!

Isn't wind going to be an issue with heavy wet snow on the trees? I would think so.....

Our local NWS office seems to think so ...STRONG NLY WINDS POSSIBLE ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE COASTAL LOW WED

AFTN AND NGT. POWER OUTAGES WOULD CERTAINLY BE A CONCERN IN AREASTHAT RECEIVE HVY WET SNOW.

I got almost 7" on 1/26 and over 4" on 2/2

again this is based on the GFS if that was my guidance, DC is not getting only 6"...lol

I'm sorry. I just had to throw this old school Feb 2010 forecast up.  And apparently we're not far off from this either...

I'm sorry. I just had to throw this old school Feb 2010 forecast up.  And apparently we're not far off from this either...

lol those snow shower later on wednesday turned out to be much better then that.

The thing that jumps out to me between this mornings GFS run and this evenings is the drop in pressure (and winds). This thing is really bombing out - what is the potential that temps drop even further than we worried about earlier today (e.g., upper 20s rather than lower 30s) thus increasing our ratios?

I'd go less for DC. Maybe 6 to 10, or even 4 to 8 for DC and 8 to 16 for NW burbs. When the snow is extremely wet, my experience is the city usually busts low. Remember in Jan 2011, Much of DC ended up with less than 5 inches cause snow was so wet and melting from underneath as fast as it was falling. DC also busted low -- almost nothing, despite a WSW for 6 inches- during that mini storm a few days before Feb. 5, 2010, With that said, real potential here for big time tree/power issues.

Didn't 1/26/11 happen very quickly? I seem to remember that being a fast mover. I like your high end of 6-10, but with that last GFS run, I'd say 10-14

The thing that jumps out to me between this mornings GFS run and this evenings is the drop in pressure (and winds). This thing is really bombing out - what is the potential that temps drop even further than we worried about earlier today (e.g., upper 20s rather than lower 30s) thus increasing our ratios?

I'm no Met, but I'd say that's pretty much impossible with no real CAA.

Archived