joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're the only one without a losing record with storm threads this year. Bring this mofo home and lets close the door on the dreadful dreadful run of bad luck

Excuse me? No good sir, I'm 2-1. I started both the Christmas Eve and Chill storm in one thread. That's two wins. I also shot myself in the head on the one that looked best for my area about a month ago. You probably should root against this one. Your storm has been the best of the winter.

We're with you Randy. Let's do it.

Wunder snow maps has placed a wall just west of the dc metro area. Snow hits the wall but  doesn't advance to DC. Is that because the surface temps are warm and it won't show any cooling with the precipitation?

I have no idea how good those maps are, never seen them...but offhand I'd have to say the BL temps must be the reason.  Surely cannot be QPF.

Wunder snow maps has placed a wall just west of the dc metro area. Snow hits the wall but  doesn't advance to DC. Is that because the surface temps are warm and it won't show any cooling with the precipitation?

yes, most likely. the sfc is not that cold on the euro. it's going to come down to rates outside elevation. tho snow makes it east just doesn't accum well.

So the phase idea on this storm has pretty much been ditched, and we're looking at a bowling ball to pass by far enough north with enough intensification to pull in cold air.  Is that more favorable than what a phase would give us?  Just curious.

I don't think so, but that may be just me. It is what it is, so we will hope for the best. 

Doesn't the Euro tend to run warm at the surface and then trend cooler as we get closer? Or is that just in damming situations?

I think it has in the past, yes. At least around here though the heaviest doesn't come till during the day and the air mass isn't super cold on any model. Think in elevation W/SW the story is probably getting clearer but DC area still kinda tricky. I'm more concerned about temps than precip at this pt tho.

So the phase idea on this storm has pretty much been ditched, and we're looking at a bowling ball to pass by far enough north with enough intensification to pull in cold air.  Is that more favorable than what a phase would give us?  Just curious.

That far S, no. Some degree of northern stream phasing is desirable to advect sufficient arctic/polar air into the cold conveyor belt. Bowling ball lows are a bit trickier.

I think it has in the past, yes. At least around here though the heaviest doesn't come till during the day and the air mass isn't super cold on any model. Think in elevation W/SW the story is probably getting clearer but DC area still kinda tricky. I'm more concerned about temps than precip at this pt tho.

For good reason, that last sentence gives me confidence. I think if we get the precip rolling during the night, temps might be less of an issue.

yes, most likely. the sfc is not that cold on the euro. it's going to come down to rates outside elevation. tho snow makes it east just doesn't accum well.

With 850's gtg throughout on all models so far, dry air in place at onset, and precip starting at night... I suppose it's safe to shave a couple degrees off the model surface temps and not be called a deluded weenie. At least not for that reason alone..

Thanks!

I have no idea how good those maps are, never seen them...but offhand I'd have to say the BL temps must be the reason.  Surely cannot be QPF.

For good reason, that last sentence gives me confidence. I think if we get the precip rolling during the night, temps might be less of an issue.

Yeah, perhaps, tho moreso for you than me. The Mar sun is powerful even with clouds and precip. I wouldn't sit around worrying about it but def want to see it trend a bit colder.  In your neck I'd probably be feeling fairly good.. if things hold thru tomorrow or so much better.  Around here we may need banding and temps at least in the mid-30s (with +SN) probably. 

Okay guys, I already made my trip to NE during their blizzard I may travel to see this one. However my threshold for chasing is 18"....Where do I go? Higher elevations towards VA/WVA border? 

Shenandoah valley area looks great at this point.

Archived