• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

Won't an ensemble mean tend to spread out the qpf?

probably.. but i'd be a little surprised if there is a big area of 2"+ liquid. the storm moves slow so it's possible but that's near the ceiling of most winter storms in the area--tho march is a good time to max precip out.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us up north, how far North does the precip shield make it?

gets .5" up to near philly in an e/w band -- .25" up to about NYC tho mainly misses long island etc to the south.

As Yoda, Mitch, and myself have just mentioned, the h5 on the srefs looks to be turning slightly to the north at the end of its run.  I suppose if it turns, the low will turn as well?

850 temps are pretty warm in VA in response to the further north 5Hvort

don't know if that was mentioned/noticed

o.t. although they are not showing up on radar, I went through some really impressive snow showers around the Baltimore Beltway on my way back from Bel Air

I was surprised how heavy they were

Wunder snow maps has placed a wall just west of the dc metro area. Snow hits the wall but doesn't advance to DC. Is that because the surface temps are warm and it won't show any cooling with the precipitation?

That and euro goes through a weird evolution where the storm amps then fades southeast right as it gets to us. I don't fully buy that solution looks weird.

That and euro goes through a weird evolution where the storm amps then fades southeast right as it gets to us. I don't fully buy that solution looks weird.

maybe tho it's not that different then what we saw on like feb 5-6 just offshore.

imho, in light of temps, I think one will need 1"+ qpf totals to see any meaningful snow accum

edit: I'm talking east of the high ground

yeah perhaps.. even then not sold DC gets more than a few inches. snow maps don't really drop anything up north of note even with the precip up there.

yeah perhaps.. even then not sold DC gets more than a few inches. snow maps don't really drop anything up north of note even with the precip up there.

that's certainly why I don't think the current prog from the Euro for me is great, but I do think it continues the creep north

at some point it will jog a bit south from its prior run and that usually spells the end of the the northerly movement

850 temps are pretty warm in VA in response to the further north 5Hvort

don't know if that was mentioned/noticed

o.t. although they are not showing up on radar, I went through some really impressive snow showers around the Baltimore Beltway on my way back from Bel Air

I was surprised how heavy they were

But they are crashing Mitch.  My area goes from just under 0c at 81 hours to nearly -4c 6 hours later (1am Wed morn, just as heavy precip should be going strong).

Ryan Mahue said the new GGEM has been performing as well as the GFS and barely below the EURO

Go to full profile →

I brought this up last night but didnt have the data readily available. The Ggem was the first model to bring this system north fwiw.

But they are crashing Mitch.  My area goes from just under 0c at 81 hours to nearly -4c 6 hours later (1am Wed morn, just as heavy precip should be going strong).

yes; I was just talking about the SREF at 87 hrs

it looks like the 0 line "hump" gets as far north as La Plata, MD, give or take, before it settles to the south

Archived