joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

Meanie.

Ok..let's move on from the NAM...the air is thick with tension as we await the GFS.

Will it GFS us?  Will it cause premature congratulations.    Yes, I went there.  See it?

i was just messing...for everyone who makes fun of those who look at the 84 hr NAM is a person who looks at it and just don't say anything about it..

:(

Meanie.

Ok..let's move on from the NAM...the air is thick with tension as we await the GFS.

Will it GFS us?  Will it cause premature congratulations.    Yes, I went there.  See it?

the thing is, it's not like the NAM is that far off with the general placement of the main features vs. reliable med range models

Im talking 2 days ago. NYC-SNE. It never showed a CHI solution.

Yes it did.  There's even commentary on its completely different solution in the other thread.

As for the NAM, relevant or not, it sure looks like it's about to explode on those 84 hour panels.  And, as Mitch noted, it lines up very well with the SREFS.  Neither may be useful, but it's an observation.

maybe tho it's not that different then what we saw on like feb 5-6 just offshore.

I buy the general idea just not that fast or extreme. I like the euro depiction better then the gfs as the storm gets going but I've seen this type of look where the storm hits the confluence and gets shunted southeast and it usually happens further east then where they put it more then 48 hours out. 2 examples just from 3 years ago. Both the dec and feb storms had a sharp cutoff just north of Baltimore until 36 hours out when in reality the cutoff was just north of Philly. In my experience and from past events its very rare that the cutoff in a major 2"+ qpf storm ends up there. Usually they either get supressed south of dc or the wall of confluence ends up near Philly or NYC. I've never seen a system get heavy snow into sw pa then miss Baltimore to the south. It can happen but I'm banking against it. This post is mostly for the bwi north and east people. Phin can probably attest to this also.

Don't assume it's not. Not because the nam shows it but because how many times have we been screwed by an h5 low being further north from 100 hours out. Maybe this time we get to cash in on that.

Don't assume it's not. Not because the nam shows it but because how many times have we been screwed by an h5 low being further north from 100 hours out. Maybe this time we get to cash in on that.

I've said at least 3 times in the past few days, these ns h5 lows this year have always ended up further north.  You're right, maybe this time it helps us.

I've said at least 3 times in the past few days, these ns h5 lows this year have always ended up further north.  You're right, maybe this time it helps us.

Yes but hopefully not too far north...the block should keep it in check but I have become paranoid about h5 N trends

I buy the general idea just not that fast or extreme. I like the euro depiction better then the gfs as the storm gets going but I've seen this type of look where the storm hits the confluence and gets shunted southeast and it usually happens further east then where they put it more then 48 hours out. 2 examples just from 3 years ago. Both the dec and feb storms had a sharp cutoff just north of Baltimore until 36 hours out when in reality the cutoff was just north of Philly. In my experience and from past events its very rare that the cutoff in a major 2"+ qpf storm ends up there. Usually they either get supressed south of dc or the wall of confluence ends up near Philly or NYC. I've never seen a system get heavy snow into sw pa then miss Baltimore to the south. It can happen but I'm banking against it. This post is mostly for the bwi north and east people. Phin can probably attest to this also.

not agreeing or disagreeing, but with this becoming more the bowling ball vs. phase idea, the models are suggesting that there is initially slp north of the Ohio River which then dies and slp redevelops in VA as it hits the block

so if that is accurate, I could see a weakening of the precip creating a dead zone before the VA low goes to town

DT says Euro Ens.....1-2 feet for the entire Shenendoah Valley. Roanoake to Winchester. That would be a truly historic storm for VA.

he's exaggerating. it's mostly 8-12" with a small 12-18" bullseye.

Archived