• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

i am not attributing this to DTK, but there are a lot of math minds who don't believe in intangibles....like heaters in poker or blackjack or even horse racing...that there is no such thing as running good or running bad.....intangibles are very very real....I am not convinced that 18z is as good a run in our backyard and we all know the DC split exists....

It's okay, I think it is a good discussion either way.  In fact, if you can think of any particularly bad 18z "fluke" runs from any quasi-recent cases, I'd be happy to look into it and see if we can't find something that may have gone awry with observation usage/assimilation. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am not attributing this to DTK, but there are a lot of math minds who don't believe in intangibles....like heaters in poker or blackjack or even horse racing...that there is no such thing as running good or running bad.....intangibles are very very real....I am not convinced that 18z is as good a run in our backyard and we all know the DC split exists....

in winter.. probably. i was talking about t-storms though which i think it random and people just notice when it happens.

everyone in this forum knows at least the basics of how to read a skew-t....this isnt the Philly or NYC forum

heh. i didn't even force myself to learn to read a skew t till like 2 yrs ago.

I suck at reading soundings, but by the looks of it from looking at some other info it seems 18z GFS was pretty much all rain for DCA.  I hope I'm wrong.

It's a mixed bag to start, but then goes to snow.  

I suck at reading them too, but that seems like snow to me.

Correct.

post-1389-0-09946900-1362266221_thumb.pn

I've highlighted the freezing mark with the black line, Swim.  With the exception of the bottom 800 feet or so, everything is well below freezing.

Yeah, I know very, very little. I dont even know the difference in the green and red. I just look at them and hope they all stay left of the 0 degree line.

if it helps, the red line is the temperature and the green line is the dewpoint.  when they're very close together it's saturated and likely precip is falling.

Yeah, I know very, very little. I dont even know the difference in the green and red. I just look at them and hope they all stay left of the 0 degree line.

They are also very confusing to me as well. IAN posted a great guide a while back but I lost it.

GFS'ed!  Snowquestration FTW. 

The sounding Matt posted is certainly a wet snow if the precip is falling at any decent sort of rate (~1mi vis or lower I'd guess). 

I've been think along the lines of "sequesteurno".

i think it is shortsighted to talk about verification scores and what data is ingested in the model and how by definition it should perform better than 12z in the means since it is 6 hours later....when we all have anecdotal evidence and experience that it is not as skilled in our backyard and often has goofy solutions that are an outlier....In fact there is a certain renowned met who posts in our forum, who has a less than glowing opinion of the off GFS runs, especially 18z, but I will let him speak for himself on that if he wants to

this is by no means a slight...but its a good example of "selection bias"....one may view a large swing at 12z as a "trend" but a large swing at 18z is considered an "outlier", mainly because of the biased opinion (which may at one point been a valid observation of a bias) of the subject....

It was compacting like crazy I think the maximum snow depth I measured in Columbia Heights was 5.5 inches, I didn't use a snowboard so the actual total was probably a bit higher.

I got 6.75"

~0.5 - 0.75 fell earlier in the day IIRC, and I measured just over 6" in Mt Pleasant by the library

Archived