Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you. I know a lot comes from satellite data, but I thought actual rawinsonde obs were pretty important. Why is it if satellite data is the majority of obs does it matter when shortwaves are over the pacific for sampling?

It's true that satellite data accounts for the greatest quantity of data assimilated during each forecast cycle, but it is also typically associated with the highest errors.  Radiosondes are few and far between, but much better for determining the exact vertical profile of temp / moisture / wind etc. 

I honestly was over this winter and expected nothing more

if this storm happens, great

if it doesn't, I frankly don't feel like I've lost a thing because this winter was dead already

Good way to look at it. No such thing as a "bust" for a potential March snow storm. If it happens it's a bonus ending on a crap season.

The infamous Ash Wednesday coastal storm. Indeed, probably the best analog for this.

BWI got 1.45" of Precip from that storm. About 1.35" of it was all snow. 33-36 degrees through the entire event. Conversely, Millersville only got 3.5" of snow out of .5" of precip.

The infamous Ash Wednesday coastal storm. Indeed, probably the best analog for this.

yeah why not run to one of the worst storms in the last 200 years.

Someone should tell Jason accuweathers post isn't looking to "irresponsible" any more :-)

BWI got 1.45" of Precip from that storm. About 1.35" of it was all snow. 33-36 degrees through the entire event. Conversely, Millersville only got 3.5" of snow.

That is something to bleh heh about. Cutoff lows retain lower atmospheric heights at their center or perhaps the precip was too light and limited at Millersville. We should see something similar with this system. I'm guessing the area in question would be Central VA this time for heavy snow amounts, just north of the vort track.

Archived