12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it did.  There's even commentary on its completely different solution in the other thread.

As for the NAM, relevant or not, it sure looks like it's about to explode on those 84 hour panels.  And, as Mitch noted, it lines up very well with the SREFS.  Neither may be useful, but it's an observation.

Not trying to be a dick...but you're wrong. On 2/28 it had a northern vort path south of CHI....with a phase just south of Central VA, then a jump NE w/ NYC-SNE getting into the action. This was the first different solution that was north. The GFS and EURO then followed though not as amped. Maybe we are debating the same thing but it never took a GL phase path cutter.

18z GFS is legit....book it

Not trying to be a dick...but you're wrong. On 2/28 it had a northern vort path south of CHI....with a phase just south of Central VA, then a jump NE w/ NYC-SNE getting into the action. This was the first different solution that was north. The GFS and EURO then followed though not as amped. Maybe we are debating the same thing but it never took a GL phase path cutter.

I'm on the phone, so I can't paste it, it's a locked topic so I can't quote it, but if you want to go back to the last long range thread, Feb 28, you'll see a post by PSUHoffman that starts "GGEM... in which he talks about the GGEM having the system in the lakes. I can't pull up any archived images of its runs, but it had a very northern solution about 3 days ago.

I'll gladly accept it's solution now, however.

OK mets, the sounding graph looks good, but this text output says that the 0 line is around 500 meters above the ground, correct?

so that's over 1500', which means it is likely not snow, at least per the article Ian posted

am I wrong?

PRESS HGT(MSL) TEMP DEW PT  WND DIR  WND SPD HPA       M      C     C       DEG     M/S   E = Estimated Surface Height
  999.    72.    1.9    1.3    52.0     9.8  975.   275.    1.4    0.3    61.7    20.1  950.   484.    0.2   -0.6    69.7    25.7  925.   697.   -1.1   -1.6    76.7    28.7

I'm on the phone, so I can't paste it, it's a locked topic so I can't quote it, but if you want to go back to the last long range thread, Feb 28, you'll see a post by PSUHoffman that starts "GGEM... in which he talks about the GGEM having the system in the lakes. I can't pull up any archived images of its runs, but it had a very northern solution about 3 days ago.

I'll gladly accept it's solution now, however.

Correct! That was when ther upper vort went thru the southern lakes(CHI) instead of the previous Iowa solution. It then phased in southern VA and went NE with snow into NYC and SNE. Every other solution at that time took the vort OTS via South Carolina. The GGEM was the 1st model to key in on this.

I think you are interpreting what was said by psu wrong. It was never a lakes cutter.

I too will take the latest solution. You are going to get crushed bro!

It's a mixed bag to start, but then goes to snow.  

Correct.

attachicon.gifGFS_3_2013030218_F90_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

I've highlighted the freezing mark with the black line, Swim.  With the exception of the bottom 800 feet or so, everything is well below freezing.

Thanks!  I feel like I've heard it explained many times, but for some reason I was able to grasp your explanation better.  I know there's still a lot more to it, but at least I have a general idea.

Tried to post a pic. Didn't work. Here's a link

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_arch_panel.php?lang=en&map=na&mod=gemglb

You can get archived images there. You'll see it's early solutions.

FWIW- gfs verification graph posted in sne forum shows that 18z at 96 scores better than 12z at 102. Makes sense overall because once you get inside of 5 days the errors that are pushed down the line in time become much more manageable.

I don't believe the qpf output but the h5 and h85 track and strength sure look optimal to me. Another 24 hours of that and I'll almost be forced to believe

Tried to post a pic. Didn't work. Here's a link

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_arch_panel.php?lang=en&map=na&mod=gemglb

You can get archived images there. You'll see it's early solutions.

The wed 2/27 and esp the 2/28 initialization shows exactly what ive been describing. CHI-to-VA w/ the NYC-SNE storm.  I don't know what your talking about but I'm not going to clog this thread w/ it anymore.

Thanks!  I feel like I've heard it explained many times, but for some reason I was able to grasp your explanation better.  I know there's still a lot more to it, but at least I have a general idea.

No problem.  Soundings can be confusing, with the lines criss crossing and all.

I might roadtrip there with IAN....they measure highest in DC in every event....

That was the highest point in DC I could find on google earth it's around 410' elevation. I have 1000' hills just NW of Frederick but I'm sitting at a lousy 280ft.

That was the highest point in DC I could find on google earth it's around 410' elevation. I have 1000' hills just NW of Frederick but I'm sitting at a lousy 280ft.

Fort Reno 3 blocks from the metro is 441'

I drove up there in my 4wd during pD3 and the difference between Georgetown and tenleytown was mind blowing. Like 2 different worlds. In an event like this just as an example I could see Capitol Hill measure 3.5" and tenleytown measure 11"

Fort Reno 3 blocks from the metro is 441'

I drove up there in my 4wd during pD3 and the difference between Georgetown and tenleytown was mind blowing. Like 2 different worlds. In an event like this just as an example I could see Capitol Hill measure 3.5" and tenleytown measure 11"

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-04-18/news/36779813_1_highpointers-club-britton-hill-high-point

After five years of paperwork, red tape and technicalities, the highest natural point in the District of Columbia has at long last been established, and it will be officially dedicated in a ceremony tomorrow. It's in Fort Reno Park, atop a grassy hill, at 409 feet.

Edit -

In 2007, the Highpointers Club in conjunction with the National Park Service had Fort Reno surveyed for the highest natural point of land within Fort Reno Park. The result was a new USGS-style survey marker dated 2007 that is in an open field off of Nebraska Avenue NW between Wilson High School and Deal Junior High School. The official height of the DC highpoint at Fort Reno is 409 feet, which is about 20 feet lower than the artificial highpoint of approximately 429 feet in the area of the reservoir.

Archived