12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK mets, the sounding graph looks good, but this text output says that the 0 line is around 500 meters above the ground, correct?

so that's over 1500', which means it is likely not snow, at least per the article Ian posted

am I wrong?

PRESS HGT(MSL) TEMP DEW PT  WND DIR  WND SPD HPA       M      C     C       DEG     M/S   E = Estimated Surface Height
  999.    72.    1.9    1.3    52.0     9.8  975.   275.    1.4    0.3    61.7    20.1  950.   484.    0.2   -0.6    69.7    25.7  925.   697.   -1.1   -1.6    76.7    28.7

Not to be a pain but where is the site that you can access this text output from?

Indeed.  We've got about 12-18 more hours of GEFS utility before the Op is much superior. 

Now we just need to have it hold to appease the weenies (of which I am one lol). Good to see the ensembles marching upward only and not waffling or reducing. 

Double edged sword. Phases are so damn complicated....but a proper phases would help with dynamical cooling.

As it stands Randy I am starting to get that pumped feeling.....

I posted yesterday or the day before that no phase gives more wiggle room. It was diagreed with (and rightfullyso) but here we are. Much easier on the nerves this wasy as long as the storm stays relatively intense. I'm cautiously pumped myself. It more of a what you see is what you get scenario leading in vs everything has to time right and we get destroyed.

Double edged sword. Phases are so damn complicated....but a proper phases would help with dynamical cooling.

As it stands Randy I am starting to get that pumped feeling.....

You and me both brotha.   I just need the models to hold through 12z and I'm all in, 100% vested.

And yeah, the phasing is tricky.  But I can't help but think that injecting some colder air and more nrn stream enrgy wouldn't hurt.    In an hour and a half, the NAM is going to go bat**** mostly likely and have us all in reds and colors off the scale.

One thing that might be a good sign (or not) is the streak of winter storm watches (and warnings) hoisted through upper midwest. Currently runs on a northwest to southeast trajectory and covers six states so far, with the watches extending into northwestern Illinois. Maybe speaks well of that piece of energy?

Toward the end of Commutageddon, I went up to Fort Reno and stuck a yardstick into several places in the park -- in that field you cite in the line -- and got several measurements that were in excess of 8". Came back home, did the same thing in my (little) yard -- I'm around 360 or so in elevation -- and measured between 6-7". Unscientific, I know, but there it is. 

Fort Reno's also a pretty big park. So maybe the urban heat effect is less and in a marginal event, that might have an affect? 

This system looks similar to the 3/14/99 analogs except this isn't a Miller a/b scenario.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/COLD/F096/EC_096/1999031506_ncdc.php?reg=EC&model=GFS212&fhr=F096&flg=&dt=1999031506#VA

Even scarier that this is post #314 and that I had Pie for dessert 8-)

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/event.php?dt=1999031506®=EC&model=GFS212&fhr=F096

21z SREFs at 87 have h5 triple contoured closed focused in Tri-State Region (aka SW VA/S WV/E KY). It is moving ever so slightly south of east from 81 to 87 hrs. Good signal for QPF as well, 0.5"+ at 87 for 12 hr time period

5H vort looks to be in a near perfect spot

ughh, to have it 1C colder throughout the column    :(

21z SREF's look great for SC PA towards the end of the run. Check out the h5 map...talk about a bowling ball!

attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

The corresponding surface low is in a good position as well with explosive deepening likely taking place after the last frame...

attachicon.gif Capture1.JPG

I know it's the SREF, which is a higher-res model and subject to convective biases, but it's a step in the correct direction.

21s SREFS are niiiiiice.

in case anyone is wondering what 2/6/10 and 2/10/10 5h maps looked like, check out the month of 2/10 from St. Jose Univ. site

kudos to Ian, who I believe posted this while crying into his beer in 2/11 while NE was getting crushed (OK, I added the tears and the beer part)

http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/archive/GFS_NA/0210/500/animate.htm

Archived