e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow those analogs are enormous. We need that block to stay right where it is now. We dont want that 500 going a lot further north.

SR models will have a tendency go a little nuts amping at the end of their runs. Zero reason to be remotely concerned until the globals do it. Were still at least a day away from worrying about nam/sref.

um 21z SREF  turns us to rain.  Probably a back end dump if they went out past 84

all the models have rain along I95 for at least part of the storm, so I don't think that really changes any thinking re the storm

we need some cold air or this will be the most anticlimactic heavy rain/snow mix ever to fall in our area

all the models have rain along I95 for at least part of the storm, so I don't think that really changes any thinking re the storm

we need some cold air or this will be the most anticlimactic heavy rain/snow mix ever to fall in our area

Srefs changed me to rain and I am 1hour northwest of I95. Stronger H5 low tracking further north is probably aiding this. A back end dump will be hard to miss because the H5 low still goes south of us.

Based on the srefs I'd also say suppressed like last nights GFS is off the table. 

Was thinking 2/10/10 a bit earlier as well tho that vort entered quite a bit east I think. Good to see some fun CIPS analogs. Now we hope and pray it holds another 24 or so. La la lock it up.

a kitten dies every time a weenie uses the 87hr SREF mean to forecast p-type :axe:

I'm a major weenie but I do stick to a set if rules when making sense of a zillion pieces of model info leading up. We aren't even at the point of looking past global ens means. Using end of run Sref/nam at this range for deterministic stuff will make a sane person insane.

SNE Weather Coverage ‏@SNEWeather

00z Nam has errors according to model diagnostics.. a lot of them. Probably will not be worth looking at.

If there are any errors it will be posted either in these 2 links:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=adm&node=kwno

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

All I can find is the discussion at 225pm.  

This is it really

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGENWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD0135Z SUN MAR 03 2013THE 00Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION STARTED ON TIME.00Z NAM RAOB RECAP...72558/OAX - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014276654/MZL - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014291765/PPG - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014278016/BDA - PART B IS MISSING91334/TKK - PART B IS MISSING04339/OBY - DELETED ALL WINDS...ERRATICHANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

This is it really

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGENWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD0135Z SUN MAR 03 2013THE 00Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION STARTED ON TIME.00Z NAM RAOB RECAP...72558/OAX - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014276654/MZL - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014291765/PPG - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...1014278016/BDA - PART B IS MISSING91334/TKK - PART B IS MISSING04339/OBY - DELETED ALL WINDS...ERRATICHANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

maybe dtk can answer, when there is model data missing, how do the models compensate? Just smooth out based on interpolations of good data, or do they take the 6hr forecast from the previous run in to account?

I'm a major weenie but I do stick to a set if rules when making sense of a zillion pieces of model info leading up. We aren't even at the point of looking past global ens means. Using end of run Sref/nam at this range for deterministic stuff will make a sane person insane.

You are talking about people who will look at a 200 hour map and debate the soundings for three hours and then declare the storm a bust.

hence, I have nothing to lose   :wacko:

maybe dtk can answer, when there is model data missing, how do the models compensate? Just smooth out based on interpolations of good data, or do they take the 6hr forecast from the previous run in to account?

there is a background field which I believe is taken from the previous run, radiosondes only make up a small portion of the observations that are assimilated each cycle and its entirely normal to have several issues with them.

there is a background field which I believe is taken from the previous run, radiosondes only make up a small portion of the observations that are assimilated each cycle and its entirely normal to have several issues with them.

thank you. I know a lot comes from satellite data, but I thought actual rawinsonde obs were pretty important. Why is it if satellite data is the majority of obs does it matter when shortwaves are over the pacific for sampling?

Archived