joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah no kidding, ouch.  .1-.25 in QPF in Northern Balto county/Carroll county and over to Harford Co Md  .5 QPF from HGR to Balto City, .75 from MRB to Frederick MD, 1" from OKV to DCA

and then south it just silly QPF of 1.25 to 2"

It's the NAM. Everyone needs to calm down

The main issue I suppose at this point is that it's a bit towards the Euro. 

True.  If the 0z Euro holds, and the GFS also holds, we'll have a head scratcher on our hands, but it still won't be time to change our thinking of the storm. 

Now, if either A) the 0z GFS moves towards the NAM/Euro, or B.) the next 12z NAM holds onto the S jog, while the 12z Euro holds - then it's time to start rethinking this thing.   I'm going to start having a hard time going against the NAM/Euro combo 48 hours before the event.

I still think that the banding will end up further n than what the NAM depicts.

True.  If the 0z Euro holds, and the GFS also holds, we'll have a head scratcher on our hands, but it still won't be time to change our thinking of the storm. 

Now, if either A) the 0z GFS moves towards the NAM/Euro, or B) the next 12z NAM holds onto the S jog, while the 12z Euro holds - then it's time to start rethinking this thing.   I'm going to start having a hard time going against the NAM/Euro combo 48 hours before the event.

I'm making no statements yet until the full 00z suite is in but just toss the NAM altogether. I remember how "wonderful" the NAM/ECMWF combination was for my area before the 2/8-9 storm.

The 00Z Nam at the SFC is right smack in between the 18Z GFS and the 12Z ECMWF at 54/60/66 hours, then joins up with the GFS off the VA Capes at 72.  Moreover, the latest NAM lines up perfectly within the EC Ensemble mean at 54 hrs (06Z Wed), though lifts a little farther N of the EC Mean (along the ern VA/NC border) by 12Z Wed. 

There's always a last minute jog north. At least that's what I always hear from anyone counting on a last minute jog north. But seriously, haven't I heard lore of how fearsome 1/96 looked for Richmond and how uncertain it looked for NY/NE until just hours before the event's onset, when the extent of the phase was picked up by the models??

I like where we sit. (Assuming of course the GFS holds serve in 15 minutes.)

There's always a last minute jog north. At least that's what I always hear from anyone counting on a last minute jog north. But seriously, haven't I heard lore of how fearsome 1/96 looked for Richmond and how uncertain it looked for NY/NE until just hours before the event's onset, when the extent of the phase was picked up by the models??

modes in 96 are a hell of a lot different than models in 13.

Everytime we needed a jog north...it went south

Is there a difference between the 4km HI-RES NAM and  the regular NAM?  Based off of sim radar at 60... the HI-RES is further north

Don't know if there's any phsyics differences but higher res lets it resolve small scale features more. But its also due to convective feedback issues and spin ups... anyway do you have a link?

I was reading earlier that a piece of energy helps kick the 500 low se? Seems like that's what just happened. The Nam was slower and not as deep early and then the thing just sort of took off. Made the stall much less of a feature. Precip now out of my area much sooner.

Interesting thought, at least to me, is what happens if the 500 low isnt as deep and further north, which has happened all year, and the kicker in the ne isn't there?

It's not totally out to lunch compared to other guidance.  Not saying it's right, but 100% ignoring it is just stupid.

Exactly...especially when the current NAM solution is somewhere in between the GFS (farther N/wetter for DC) and the EC (farther S/drier).  Those of us in the DC area need to take solace that, at least for now, the NAM *still* is north of the EC and even north of the EC Mean by 60-84 hours.  However, yes it could very well be the beginning of a trend toward the EC.  Will be interesting to see if the 00Z GFS and GEFS...and 03Z SREF...do the same thing..

Archived