joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would this indicate more cold air? The stuff I'm talking about is influencing the amplification.

normally injection from a Northern Stream shortwave would mean more cold air becuase of air mass source region, although in this case, since it broke off from the original storm to some extent, that rulle probably doesn't apply.

Most of us mets up there are having some fun at the expense of the GFS. Its a terrible model in big east coast storms...it makes Tony Romo look like a clutch QB. It almost nevers scores the coup in big storms. I'd be surprised if it did in this one. I do think the Euro is too far south, but I'd bet dollars to donuts its a lot more right than the GFS...especially as it pertains up to this region. For down there in that region, a slight shift north of the Euro makes it a much better storm for BWI and northward.

Even at 48 hours out?

Even at 48 hours out?

Esp at that time range...though for SNE, the storm would be more like 72-96 hours as it flips the ULL slowly northward after it exits the Mid-atlantic coast. The meat of the event for DC is still about in the 60 hour range.

I remember the morning of PDI, after the insane rates ended and it was light snow at the very end of the storm temps were at 34 or so

insane rates sure can help but there's other stuff going on that can spoil the cooling effects of those rates..I just don't know what they are technically speaking

that is a pretty good comparison other than the fact that it was around 12 degrees at the height of the storm

the evolution of the GFS is just weird to me. I highly doubt this phases up the coast. I don't buy that retrograding vort in to NNE at all unless I see other models pick up on it or more run to run consistently. GFS has been ALL over the place with the evolution of the N Atl low. This kind of variance IMO is quite ridiculous this close in.

normally injection from a Northern Stream shortwave would mean more cold air becuase of air mass source region, although in this case, since it broke off from the original storm to some extent, that rulle probably doesn't apply.

There is no phasing here during the storm. These features are only transferring momentum while the storm is happening for the Mid Atlantic. If anything, more amplification / west low could mean an influx of a warmer boundary layer.

From CWG

11:00 p.m. update: We’ve reviewed the latest model data, and our updated D.C. area snow accumulation chances for between Tuesday night and Wednesday night:

Chance of 2” or more: 70-80 percent
Chance of 5” or more: 45-60 percent
Chance of 10” or more: 10-30 percent

The low end of the ranges apply to D.C./I-95 and points east, while the higher end of the ranges apply to areas of west of D.C. and I-95 (where the accumulation potential is greater due to colder temperatures).

that is a pretty good comparison other than the fact that it was around 12 degrees at the height of the storm

nah., it started off frigid but then warmed incredibly

never did know why with such rates

still, the nagging temp issues reappear after 18z suite allayed them for the most part

Archived