joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to qualify that in my post... it is march... and temps are an issue... I am just saying from what the model depicted... the overall geographic extent.. million of people impacted.. and not mention.. 12 inches would be around 7:1 ratios with the amounts depicted... 12 inches would break a record for March I believe...

Assuming the GFS's depiction of the storm is the prevailing one at go-time, how much will be forecasted for the area?

I have a feeling that since DC's biggest March snowfall is ~12", and due to climatological factors, forecasters will be cautious and call for 5-10 or 6-12 for D.C. --at the most.

unfortunately that almost never happens

Yeah but in the good old days it wasn't unusual for a storm to come way north inside 60hrs on all models. Look at Dec 2010, Feb 2007, Oct 2011, Dec 2009 ect. Those all were supposed to scoot due east, but all of them got a little hung up between the coast and the gulfstream.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but this feels like Dec. 19, 2009, when Charlottesville to Frederickburg Va was suppose to be the bullseye, but in the end the bullseye moved toward Dulles Airport if I recall. And even for Feb. 5 2010, DC was suppose to be the bullseye, but it ended up being in northern Carrol County.. I'm no met, but seems to me the best bands usually set up about 50 miles from where its progged. Even in the well-forecast, modeled, Boston Blizzard last month, the heaviest snow didn't end up in Boston. It ended up in central Connecticut.

wait, what? Parts of Charlottesville received 28" of snow. i was in between those areas in 2009 and we got 25" surpassing the forecasted 16-20". google a total snowfall map for that storm and you will see the bullseye did not shift north.

wait, what? Parts of Charlottesville received 28" of snow. i was in between those areas in 2009 and we got 25" surpassing the forecasted 16-20". google a total snowfall map for that storm and you will see the bullseye did not shift north.

Ok. maybe Charlottesville and areas SW of DC still got bullseye.. But I am almost certain areas farther east like Fredericksburg were suppose to get more snow than DC.  In the end, DC area did equally as well, including some areas north of the city. 

The GFS and the CRAS (and i believe the cras sometimes can be used as an indicator of a western or northern bais in the other models) vs pretty much everything else, i'm not sure why were even bothering at this point. This looks like it's going to be another euro like solution and i've to hear any real reasoning why it might be otherwise.

GGEM.... just a cold rain for most of the storm, now usually it runs a little on the warm side, but by that much? ehhhh

...long live the euro :cry::violin::underthewx:

Ok. maybe Charlottesville and areas SW of DC still got bullseye.. But I am almost certain areas farther east like Fredericksburg were suppose to get more snow than DC.  In the end, DC area did equally as well, including some areas north of the city. 

Yes fredericksburg did not do as well as modeled, in fact it is very rare we do better than DC on large snowstorms.

Archived