Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February Banter Thread

burgertime

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in other words, I get nothing.

Brick the GFS computer has issued a statement.  For full effect it should be read aloud in a Stephen Hawking voice.

BRICK TAMLAND,  NO SNOW FOR YOU.  YOU LIVE IN A SNOW HOLE. LEARN TO DEAL WITH IT OR MOVE.

I HAVE PUSHED THE FORECAST LENGTH OUT TO YOUR AVERAGE LIFE SPAN.

NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW,

NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW,

NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW, NO SNOW.

FORECASTER/GFS

You gotta love how all models spit out 3 to 5 inches of qpf...... All snow.........and peeps in the NE forum are asking questions about ratios.... lol

Yep need to worry about the exact track...which could have large negative consequences. Mixing would slice and dice totals along the coast. 

The first and probably the biggest concern is will there be any mixing along the coastal plain. Given the current position of the high and bombing low pressure system on the models...odds favor mainly snow across most of the region. There could be some issues for a time along the far southeast New England coast especially the cape/islands. That is the scenario that the current models are advertising...but a 50 or so mile shift in the track northwest will make a big difference. If this were to occur...mixing issues could affect a larger part of the coastal plain so something will have to watch closely given that were still 72+ hours out. The other issue is how far inland does the heaviest precipitation extend. The current models indicate that the potential for heaviest snow will be along the coastal plain. Given the well defined middle level centers and likely strong deformation zone we may see heavy snow affect even the distant interior. However...its possible that the model track could shift east which would limit the coverage of heavy snow that far west. 

BLIZZARD WATCH UP FOR BOSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS!!!  :lmao:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA319 PM EST WED FEB 6 2013...A POTENTIAL HISTORIC WINTER STORM AND BLIZZARD IS EXPECTED TODROP 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION FRIDAY INTOSATURDAY...MAZ005>007-013>018-RIZ001>004-070430-/O.CAN.KBOX.WS.A.0002.130208T0600Z-130209T1800Z//O.NEW.KBOX.BZ.A.0001.130208T1200Z-130209T2100Z/CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK319 PM EST WED FEB 6 2013...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAYAFTERNOON......WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAYAFTERNOON. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.* LOCATIONS...MUCH OF EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS NORTHERN AND  CENTRAL RHODE ISLAND. THIS INCLUDES THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE  CORRIDOR.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES.* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPS BY FRIDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL  INCREASE INTENSITY DURING FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST SNOW  WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL  FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE FRIDAY  NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER  HOUR POSSIBLE. TRAVEL MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH BLOWING  AND DRIFTING SNOW.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR CONSIDERABLEFALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENTGUSTS OVER 35 MPH AND VISIBILITIES BELOW 1/4 MILE FOR AT LEAST3 HOURS. WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE...MAKING TRAVELVERY DANGEROUS.  BE PREPARED TO ALTER ANY TRAVEL PLANS.&&$$

BLIZZARD WATCH UP FOR BOSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS!!!  :lmao:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA319 PM EST WED FEB 6 2013...A POTENTIAL HISTORIC WINTER STORM AND BLIZZARD IS EXPECTED TODROP 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION FRIDAY INTOSATURDAY...MAZ005>007-013>018-RIZ001>004-070430-/O.CAN.KBOX.WS.A.0002.130208T0600Z-130209T1800Z//O.NEW.KBOX.BZ.A.0001.130208T1200Z-130209T2100Z/CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK319 PM EST WED FEB 6 2013...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAYAFTERNOON......WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAYAFTERNOON. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.* LOCATIONS...MUCH OF EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS NORTHERN AND  CENTRAL RHODE ISLAND. THIS INCLUDES THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE  CORRIDOR.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES.* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPS BY FRIDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL  INCREASE INTENSITY DURING FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST SNOW  WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL  FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE FRIDAY  NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER  HOUR POSSIBLE. TRAVEL MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH BLOWING  AND DRIFTING SNOW.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR CONSIDERABLEFALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENTGUSTS OVER 35 MPH AND VISIBILITIES BELOW 1/4 MILE FOR AT LEAST3 HOURS. WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE...MAKING TRAVELVERY DANGEROUS.  BE PREPARED TO ALTER ANY TRAVEL PLANS.&&$

Amazing!  Good for them, maybe this will reset the east coast snow mojo.  And they can finally stop there whining :-)

One of the hardest parts for me to deal with right now is the proposed tracks of the upcoming storms. They are great SE snowstorm tracks but we just don't have the cold. I find that to be the most frustrating.

We have been stuck in this rut for the last several years (with the exception of 09/10 - and even then KTRI somehow managed to get the shaft)

I have noticed many storms that take a great track for the southern apps/carolinas/northern GA and there simply isn't enough of a cold air feed to make anything happen for us.  You are right, very frustrating.

One of the hardest parts for me to deal with right now is the proposed tracks of the upcoming storms. They are great SE snowstorm tracks but we just don't have the cold. I find that to be the most frustrating.

I think the problem is the utter lack of any type of blocking whatsoever. That leaves is with a progressive and energetic northern stream that sends low after low after low through the GL and NE and you get a transient high every now and then at best. It is indeed frustrating. It'll be even more frustrating in late March/April when the Greenland Block shows up and kills Spring and T-storm season.

I think the problem is the utter lack of any type of blocking whatsoever. That leaves is with a progressive and energetic northern stream that sends low after low after low through the GL and NE and you get a transient high every now and then at best. It is indeed frustrating. It'll be even more frustrating in late March/April when the Greenland Block shows up and kills Spring and T-storm season.

I agree...Sometimes I wish I didn't start this hobby years ago and could just go about my business not knowing what's going on.

SLP off the panhandle tracks just off the SC/NC coast with precip back into NC/N-SC/N-GA, per the 850's it's cold enough for snow for N-GA, NW-SC and west of I-95 in NC.  

sure would like for this to happen on valentines day or the next day,  this would help mend our terrible past two and so far this winter. :cry:

Don't beleive the hype. According to Gawx and Beanskip rest of winter looks blah for the SE. Basically it's over. Look for colder than normal temps in March . :lmao:

I'm assuming you're saying the bolded tongue in cheek. Just to make sure there's no confusion, I never said the rest of winter looks blah for the SE or anything like this. I continue to feel, based on warm Dec./Jan. analogs, that there's a decent shot at the best excitement yet this winter in the SE being anytime from late Feb. to mid March. That's not necessarily just referring to a chilly March. That would probably include one or more threats for sig. wintry precip. for a good portion of the SE.

I agree we get a great storm track but no cold air to work with, then we'll get the cold air and no storm.  then we're back to a great storm track next week hopefully but there will be no cold air to work with again.  VERY FRUSTRATING

If i had the money I would be on the road to New England right now.

I have tons of family in Conn and MASS one of these days I am gonna do it this is for Chicopee Mass where most of my family are....they havent talked totals yet for her area but she usually does really really well although she might be to far west this time to really cash in.

Friday "Snow, mainly after 9am. High near 33. East wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%".

Friday night  "Snow with areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Windy, with a north wind 17 to 22 mph increasing to 23 to 28 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%."

Sat  "Snow with areas of blowing snow before noon, then snow likely between noon and 2pm, then a chance of snow after 2pm. High near 21. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%"

dont get me wrong.  if someone gave me a free trip up there I'd take it, but man that wind is going to be cold.  if I were going to invest in a trip like that, I'd like to go when they were expecting 2 or 3 feet, but very little wind  (fi that ever happens).  man that is the best, its not that cold, and those big pancakes just fall right out of the sky. 

Archived