• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February Banter Thread

burgertime

I guess if they annoy you, you don't have to look at them, but many respected mets refer to these charts quite often.  I don't think we should police which maps get to be posted and which don't.  But, they're long-range forecasts just like any other 10-day+ map that might be posted.  It's got a great chance of being wrong, as does any other long-range map.  But, so what?  It's an output from a weather model.  We can talk about it.  It's a weather board.

Beanskip's last post is a good one...the anomaly charts have been a bit deceiving this year and it has at times been frustrating to watch people post that it is a good look that never gets there. It is a good tool but if you keep bumping your head against a wall with it, then perhaps using another look might help you discover that it is not the end all be all of pattern definition.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CR, CR, CR.....such angst can stranglelize you! You need to subsume your desires within a greater cause. What you do is wish for rain for Tony. Unlike snow for CR, rain for Tony is doable. It is a selfless act that will bring you pleasure seeing Tony's shining face as he cavorts about amongst the rain drops! And you see, Tony is unencumbered with worries about what the Pacific, or the Atlantic is doing. He cares not for the blocking that may or may not exist. Tony knows....for he has seen... that rain is the all important feature. If you have rain in winter, you have a chance. He has gone to bed with it pouring rain, and awakened to it pouring sleet, or snow. If it did it once, nay ten times, it can do it again. Too much science puts doubts into weenie minds. Until there is an infallable predictor, all is on the table still. Let it rain in winter, and takest thou thy chances! Better yet, give the chances to Tony.

So put aside your personal woes, and wish for rain for Tony. YOu'll feel better, he'll feel better, and since it's winter, and raining, he might get some ip/sn and he'll send you a picture of it, to show you how your selfless act can affect the happiness of others!!

Here to help you cope...your pal, T

Alright, alright. I will wish the rain of the days of Noah down upon you. And although it would make me happy for you to frolic under the fall of heavy rain, I will remain somewhat chagrined by the impossibility of seeing one tiny inch of snow in my back yard.

2.7" of qfp for parts of the NE. All snow... fml I wish I lived there...

It's driving me crazy that I can't get up there for this, this is going to be a top 5 NE storm, maybe tops ever.  I got some good friends up there that are trying to coax me up there.  It's going to be fun to watch, I am not as excited  as the NE folks themselves but I am excited to watch this unfold, even if it's on TV. 

Now the Euro is burying NY and hitting PHL hard too. 

It's driving me crazy that I can't get up there for this, this is going to be a top 5 NE storm, maybe tops ever. I got some good friends up there that are trying to coax me up there. It's going to be fun to watch, I am not as excited as the NE folks themselves but I am excited to watch this unfold, even if it's on TV.

Now the Euro is burying NY and hitting PHL hard too.

I agree...We're not going to see a flake from this storm but still can't wait to watch it unfold.

2.7" of qfp for parts of the NE. All snow... fml I wish I lived there...

Aside: If I had a choice between being there for a 24" storm and being in Atlanta for a historic 8" storm, I'd choose being in Atlanta for 8" easily. For me, a lot of what I like about snow is the novelty of sig. snow in this area. For that reason, alone, I'd never want to live anywhere up north since snow wouldn't remain as special for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I agree...We're not going to see a flake from this storm but still can't wait to watch it unfold.

The nice thing is this will start for them mid-afternoon, they will get to watch the ground turn from green to blankets of snow, I don't remember the last time we had a snow that didn't start until after I was asleep.

Aside: If I had a choice between being there for a 24" storm and being in Atlanta for a historic 8" storm, I'd

choose being in Atlanta for 8" easily. For me, a lot of what I like about snow is the novelty of sig. snow in this area. For that reason, alone, I'd never want to live anywhere up north since snow wouldn't remain as special for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I agree Larry. For me a snowstorm is not the same unless I'm seeing it IMBY.

The nice thing is this will start for them mid-afternoon, they will get to watch the ground turn from green to blankets of snow, I don't remember the last time we had a snow that didn't start until after I was asleep.

I was sitting here trying to remember the last snowstorm I was in that started during the day. I was living in Marietta in 93 and I think it started early in the morning. I know it was snowing during the day but don't remember when it started but I think that was the last time for me.

Feb 26, 2004.  Started in mid morning if I'm not mistaken and snowed all day.  I remember cause it started accumulating quick in CLT and everybody was already at work.  Traffic was a mess.  Best storm that I remember other than January 88.  That one though was mostly overnight.  I'm still waiting on an 04 repeat....

I was sitting here trying to remember the last snowstorm I was in that started during the day. I was living in Marietta in 93 and I think it started early in the morning. I know it was snowing during the day but don't remember when it started but I think that was the last time for me.

March '93 I was still here in marietta and it was a daytime blizzard. Amazing.... rained the night. Before and around 9am it turned to snow. 10" and many lightning bolts and claps of thunder later it ended around dusk.

March '93 I was still here in marietta and it was a daytime blizzard. Amazing.... rained the night. Before and around 9am it turned to snow. 10" and many lightning bolts and claps of thunder later it ended around dusk.

I thought it started in the morning but wasn't sure. To be honest 1992 to 1994 is kind of a fog for me....LOL! A lot of good times in Atl. during those years.

Feb 26, 2004. Started in mid morning if I'm not mistaken and snowed all day. I remember cause it started accumulating quick in CLT and everybody was already at work. Traffic was a mess. Best storm that I remember other than January 88. That one though was mostly overnight. I'm still waiting on an 04 repeat....

04 hit hard with that overrunning band of snow. I had 8" by 2PM

That brings up something I've noticed over the last few years.  Almost every one of our storms has occurred at night (some started in the late daylight hours, but still).  Meanwhile, MS/AL/GA has seen almost all of their winter storms over the last few years during the day.  Now, that's good for accumulations in our area, but I think I have forgotten what it looks like to see heavy snow in the daylight!  :weenie:

The February 19th, 2011 winter "storm" was mostly during the day, but the snow was light.  In addition, this year's 1/25 storm was a daytime event, but that was almost exclusively IP/ZR for most of us.

People are "chippy" because they love snow and for most this winter and last year have been epic failures. I realize it is the southeast but this is as bas as it has been in over a decade of living down here. I am extra chippy because I wish I was in Mass right now.

People are "chippy" because they love snow and for most this winter and last year have been epic failures. I realize it is the southeast but this is as bas as it has been in over a decade of living down here. I am extra chippy because I wish I was in Mass right now.

Can't wait to see the SNE posters complaining about getting a paltry 27 inches out of this when the NAM said they would get 42. 

Can't wait to see the SNE posters complaining about getting a paltry 27 inches out of this when the NAM said they would get 42. 

LOL most likely and it kills me can't even buy a flake from a storm crossing the FL Peninsula and headed north up the coast in February.

LOL funny cause it is so true.......

Forecast for my cousins who live in Colchester Conn, if it hits the high side of the possible it would be 30" more or less......and with winds gusting 50 and temps in the upper teens and low 20's  I imagine the drifts will be epic..the best part is I will get pics to share. 

• Friday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. Breezy, with a east wind 13 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
  • Friday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Windy, with a north wind 28 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.
  • Saturda ySnow, mainly before noon. High near 22. Windy, with a north wind 22 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

I plotted RDU's 30 year snow average below.  I truly believe we are going to turn and the next 25+ years is going to start ramping up.  We are historically low, this goes back 120+ years.  We have never been below 6" for a 30 year average but we are now thanks to the past decade and the terrible 90's.   

post-2311-0-70384200-1360277124_thumb.pn

Archived