joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

burgertime

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger Godell hates New Orleans so much he shut down the power to the entire city! I knew he would get the last laugh after Paul Tagliabue overturned the suspensions he handed out! I'm still so mad, the Falcons should be in this game and it would still be a game instead of this lopsided thing

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  Dixie sorry about the recent tornado.  I know how scary those can be. When those hooking red cells show up on the radar it does something to the pit of your stomach. Total dread. Once again, thanks so much for the welcome.  I have been here for a long time but never joined. Glad I did.

Post!  Post obs if nothing else :)  We in Ga. need to see what's happening over where you are so we can prepare those babies in NC. for what's coming :)  We Georgians are a small contingent, but what we lack in numbers we make up for in charm :)  So don't worry, we will all speak our minds, charmingly, ( I for one would say a lot more about the crazy range, but I'm afraid of Mr. Bob),  and those mean NC folks won't chase us off.  We have Michelle on our side, and she loves us :thumbsup:   T

Roger Godell hates New Orleans so much he shut down the power to the entire city! I knew he would get the last laugh after Paul Tagliabue overturned the suspensions he handed out! I'm still so mad, the Falcons should be in this game and it would still be a game instead of this lopsided thing

I had the Moles working on it, but they don't do turnovers and stupid, untimely penalty's.  Any time your offense hands you the game twice, and your defense gives up the biggest comeback in playoff history...twice...except for Ryan last second magic, you've got problems that way out weigh superb Mo Jo Whammy and a top four offense.   If they can pull a Jone's type deal, on the defensive side, we're in :)  T

I had the Moles working on it, but they don't do turnovers and stupid, untimely penalty's.  Any time your offense hands you the game twice, and your defense gives up the biggest comeback in playoff history...twice...except for Ryan last second magic, you've got problems that way out weigh superb Mo Jo Whammy and a top four offense.   If they can pull a Jone's type deal, on the defensive side, we're in :)  T

I'm with ya on that one. I wish we could just tell the league that we are gonna sit out the first round of this years draft and just take Jadeveon Clowney next year! Could you imagine taking Jarvis Jones this year and Clowney next year? If someone could pull that off they would be set for the next 10 years on defense! I would like to see the falcons grab Lattimore in the 3rd round this year! For sure we have to get a DE to get a pass rush. We better stop with this sports talk! I have seen some folks getting mad about us talking sports even in the banter thread.

I'm with ya on that one. I wish we could just tell the league that we are gonna sit out the first round of this years draft and just take Jadeveon Clowney next year! Could you imagine taking Jarvis Jones this year and Clowney next year? If someone could pull that off they would be set for the next 10 years on defense! I would like to see the falcons grab Lattimore in the 3rd round this year! For sure we have to get a DE to get a pass rush. We better stop with this sports talk! I have seen some folks getting mad about us talking sports even in the banter thread.

It's Super Bowl day, Michelle will cut us some slack.  I'm in with the pass rush.  Falcons have had a history of great rushers on both sides, and tight end play too.  I don't worry any more.  With Smith, and the Office, they are building a dynasty.  I just can't figure out where a resurgent Caroline, Tampa, and Saints fit in, lol.   I think they'll need more wild card slots :)

Good game tonight.  I think they should always turn out the lights for an hour mid game so the team that's down can game plan with no pressure, and get back in it :)  T

It's Super Bowl day, Michelle will cut us some slack.  I'm in with the pass rush.  Falcons have had a history of great rushers on both sides, and tight end play too.  I don't worry any more.  With Smith, and the Office, they are building a dynasty.  I just can't figure out where a resurgent Caroline, Tampa, and Saints fit in, lol.   I think they'll need more wild card slots :)

Good game tonight.  I think they should always turn out the lights for an hour mid game so the team that's down can game plan with no pressure, and get back in it :)  T

With the young talented qb's in the NFC like Cam, RG3, Russell Wilson, A Rod, Josh Freeman and others I know that it is gonna get tougher every year. I expect to be back in the Championship game next year ( I expect that every year since 1985) who knows if we make it back. Just ask Dan Marino...it's never a given! I do feel that the foundation that Thomas Dimtrioff and Mike smith have in place we will make it to 3-5 Super Bowls over the next 10 years. People should be very excited about the last 5 years of success and where we are headed! Who would have ever thought after 2007 season that we would string together 5 winning seasons and make it to the playoffs 4 of them, being number one seed twice! Just think how different it would have been if we would have lost that coin toss before the 2008 draft. Idk if you remember but there was a 3 way tie for that draft spot with the Falcons, Chiefs and Raiders. Dimitroff chose tails to win the toss and gave us the Matt Ryan pick. Had he chose heads we would have lost that spot and we would have drafted Glen Dorsey! Remember that was around the time Patrick Kerney had left and we were in desperate need of a pass rusher and he was our man. Man I'm glad we got our qb! I was worried going into that draft that Miami was gonna draft Ryan but a week before the draft they reached a deal with jake long and St Louis still had Marc Bulger so I knew Ryan would be there but there was some discussion over the pick if it was gonna be Ryan or Dorsey. The fans were split on who it should be but I knew all along that Ryan needed to be the pick and I'm so glad he was. Anyway I'm rambling so I better stop! I could talk falcons football 24/7

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/top-news/memorable-blizzards-of-winters-past-1.89466?tc=cr

Memorable blizzards of winters past

By Walter Boyd/Special to the Times-News 
Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 21:00 PM.
This area is not known for its copious snowfalls and light dustings of about an inch or two are all most young people have ever experienced. So, it may surprise some people that Burlington has experienced several paralyzing snowfalls in its history that would rival anything “up North.”

The first major snow storm recorded locally, and perhaps the worst to ever hit the area, was the “Great Snow of 1857.” It began snowing on Sunday, Jan. 18, and by the time it had stopped snow had accumulated anywhere from 4 to 6 feet on level ground. Many who experienced that storm recalled that the ubiquitous split-rail fences, which averaged about 5 to 6 feet in height, were covered. Drifts were as deep as 10 feet in places.

The worst thing about the Great Snow of 1857 is that there was very little melting for an entire month. When Joseph Gibson (for whom the town of Gibsonville is named) died on Jan. 25, his body had to be transported to the cemetery by sled. To add insult to injury, because there was so much snow on the ground, his coffin was left sitting there for several weeks until enough melting had occurred for a grave to be dug.

The next big snowfall to hit the area is referred to as the “Blizzard of 1899.” It started snowing early in the afternoon of Saturday, Feb. 11 and continued until about 9:30 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 13. In terms of actual snow accumulation it was rather puny compared to the 1857 blizzard—with the average depth on level ground ranging from only about one foot to about 18-20 inches. But this was primarily due to the fact that it was a fine, dry snow, which strong winds blew into drifts up to 4-feet deep.

What made the Blizzard of 1899 so devastating was not the snow itself but the fact that the temperature stayed below freezing for so long. In fact, it was one of the coldest air masses ever recorded in the United States, and it was reported to be 5 degrees below zero in Burlington when the snow finally stopped falling. It was so cold that the ears of hogs being shipped by rail through the area froze and dropped off.

Perhaps the worst thing about the Blizzard of 1899 is that coal and wood deliveries were usually made on Mondays, so most people were either low on (or completely out of) heating fuel by the time the storm hit. Due to the depth of the snow, and the fact that it didn’t melt right away due to the cold temperatures and the frozen ground, it was several days before any deliveries could be made. Out of desperation, some people began burning furniture, or chopping down trees in their yards to use in their stoves and fireplaces. Most just stayed in bed and tried to keep warm under the covers. At least one infant froze to death because her mother had no firewood. 

Although the winter of 1917-18 was said to be so bad that there was snow on the ground every day between mid-November and the end of March, the first major snow storm of the 20th century didn’t hit Burlington until Tuesday, March 1, 1927. By Wednesday morning there was at least 15 inches of snow on the ground and drifts measured between 3 and 5 feet.

Another big snow hit Burlington before noon on Tuesday, Jan. 23, 1940, and by Wednesday morning 18 inches of it had accumulated. The city had a plow by that time, but unfortunately it was at Mayor Earl B. Horner’s farm at the time being used to grade his private road. So it was quite a while before the streets were cleared. During that storm a salesman from New York, staying at the Alamance Hotel, sent a telegram to his boss stating that he couldn’t get his car out due to the heavy snowfall in Burlington. His boss, who obviously couldn’t believe that a blizzard could occur in the “sunny South,” wired back: “Are you drunk?”

The last snowfall in Burlington that could be measured in feet rather than inches occurred in March 1960. It snowed for three Wednesdays in a row (March 2, 9, and 16), resulting in a total accumulation that averaged about 2 feet.

So when “old timers” in Burlington say that current snowfalls are nothing compared to the ones they experienced back when they were young, they are indeed telling the truth.    

Although the winter of 1917-18 was said to be so bad that there was snow on the ground every day between mid-November and the end of March, the first major snow storm of the 20th century didn’t hit Burlington until Tuesday, March 1, 1927. By Wednesday morning there was at least 15 inches of snow on the ground and drifts measured between 3 and 5 feet.

Lol this is fake as hell. Snow on the ground from mid November to end of March. Yeah right. Unrealistic impossible, and yeah fake.

Oh wait its says burlington. I thought it said Birmingham.

Ooops!

The Times News is the Burlington news paper (it used to be called The Daily Times...just a little piece of insignificant trivia). I grew up in Burlington, which lies between Greensboro and Raleigh, and it's not unrealistic to imagine that there could have been some big snows, compared to modern day SE winters.

By the way, if you ever get to Btown, make sure you stop by Zack's and get a :weenie: They're the best!

Edit: Thanks to Iso for sharing.

Ooops!

The Times News is the Burlington news paper (it used to be called The Daily Times...just a little piece of insignificant trivia). I grew up in Burlington, which lies between Greensboro and Raleigh, and it's not unrealistic to imagine that there could have been some big snows, compared to modern day SE winters.

By the way, if you ever get to Btown, make sure you stop by Zack's and get a :weenie: They're the best!

Edit: Thanks to Iso for sharing.

Wait, that isn't Burlington, VT? This happened in NC during 1917?

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/top-news/memorable-blizzards-of-winters-past-1.89466?tc=cr

Memorable blizzards of winters past

The last snowfall in Burlington that could be measured in feet rather than inches occurred in March 1960. It snowed for three Wednesdays in a row (March 2, 9, and 16), resulting in a total accumulation that averaged about 2 feet.

I'm surprised they didn't get at least a foot during the Bilz.
  NIce read.  Thanks.  T

Lol this is fake as hell. Snow on the ground from mid November to end of March. Yeah right. Unrealistic impossible, and yeah fake.

You need some reading comprehension. Notice how it said, "was said to be". This implies it's pretty much folklore and that officially the first major snow was in 1927.  This concludes your 5th grade English lesson for the day. 

Where are the Miller A gulf lows that run up the coast and create huge Noreaster's?  There really hasn't been one since about a week after Hurricane Sandy if I remember correctly.  Were there any last year?  Obviously we didn't get any snow from one but I can't remember if there were any Noreasters or not.  Oh, remember a couple of years ago when it seemed there was a huge miller A storm every 2 weeks or so and all of our time and effort went into trying to determine the track, and the dreaded NW shift (shaft) at the last moment!  Ah, the good old days.  

I'm also tired of all of these negative-sounding attacks on folks posting what they see or use to determine their long-range prognostications. I don't know if folks are just trying to be funny and get in their one-liner to EVERY, SINGLE, POST, but I'm tired of it. 

I think we just need some SNOW!  My banter posting is done for the week.  Thanks for reading.

Archived