joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I've found this winter to be a dud thus far. I understand the days with >1" of snow on the ground fetish people will disagree but we've had near average snowfall through today but it's been very spread out and the storms have been quite meh. We can't even get an exciting cold fropa with gusty winds and squalls. 

Just not my kinda winter. Hopefully it picks up and not like the Euro with a monster cutter by D9. 

Personally, I've found this winter to be a dud thus far. I understand the days with >1" of snow on the ground fetish people will disagree but we've had near average snowfall through today but it's been very spread out and the storms have been quite meh. We can't even get an exciting cold fropa with gusty winds and squalls.

Just not my kinda winter. Hopefully it picks up and not like the Euro with a monster cutter by D9.

I violently agree with this post.

I don't think its been a good winter despite slightly above avg snowfall here. The torches we've had so far mark it down a bit...that said, we had a pretty exciting storm on Dec 29. Nov 6-7 was pretty fun too.

Snow pack here was pretty respectable most of the last 3 weeks...>8" depth. I'd give it an average grade thus far. Maybe a tick above. For BOS proper its obviously sucked. Being on the wrong side of several CFs will do that.

The antecedent airmass ahead of that system is really good. Even on the Euro solution, it takes a lot of work to erode that airmass. Euro kind of went nuts with the phase (shocking at D7-8, I know) there, but even at 192 with a low going into the UP Michigan, the 850 temps at BOS are like -8C, lol.

to me (obviously until the euro goes crazy) that's how i'd like to draw them up. a lot of the good ones - at least with respect to getting good snow to the coastal plain - have a really nice antecedent airmass that models just suck with and blow out of here too fast. 

you can even see there on the euro that it strengthens HP up to like 1030, 1032 mb for a time just n of NNE even as that low is coming into the Lakes. if it were just a bit weaker with the energy and not digging so much, we'd probably score a nice SWFE there. 

way out in the future, but something to watch. 

Quite frankly, Its not much better up here then last winter, I am 1.5" ahead of where we were last year at this time snow total wise, I gave it a C- earlier that is still below avg and we finished below avg last year, We are just doing it a different way this year then last but it looks like the same results so far

Quite frankly, Its not much better up here then last winter, I am 1.5" ahead of where we were last year at this time snow total wise, I gave it a C- earlier that is still below avg and we finished below avg last year, We are just doing it a different way this year then last but it looks like the same results so far

Pretty similar--I'm 1.4" ahead of last year to date.  38.8" last year on 1/17, 40.2" so far this year.

Only finished at 75" last year which is quite a bit below average (closer to 100").

Expectations are a bit too lofty and unrealistic much of the time;  the higher the platform, the bigger the let down impact.   

Right now we are in buck-shot of average for snow and cold - perhaps bias negative or positive by a little, but within reason at most climo sites.  We are a bit above average in temperatures, but it doesn't take a climate/Met wiz to see that correcting downward over the next week and/or two.  And, if it snowed with similar frequency and amount ending Mar 1 (first day of Met spring) we'd probably be looking at a standard winter.   

A lot of the "false" expectation comes from two origins imo:  The first being that since 1990, the last 20 years has seen an upswing in the frequency of dramatic events (those that exceed climatology by a considerable margin).  So much so that it becomes entitled (so to to speak).   Nothing is greater insulting than to be denied one's entitlements.

The other reason is of course being too "weather-reliant", emotionally.  Tough to do that, I know.  Weather touches us all, daily, unless of course we live in subterranean enclosed ecopod of somekind..  

Someone had asked the question in the recently locked thread as to why people were so tightly wound - just sayin'

I don't think its been a good winter despite slightly above avg snowfall here. The torches we've had so far mark it down a bit...that said, we had a pretty exciting storm on Dec 29. Nov 6-7 was pretty fun too.

Snow pack here was pretty respectable most of the last 3 weeks...>8" depth. I'd give it an average grade thus far. Maybe a tick above. For BOS proper its obviously sucked. Being on the wrong side of several CFs will do that.

12/29 was an awesome storm. I wish we got more of those. 4-5 hours of 2"/hour, great snow growth snow. Sweet.

12/29 was an awesome storm. I wish we got more of those. 4-5 hours of 2"/hour, great snow growth snow. Sweet.

Yeah I like the intense storms that might only last 5 hours, but really bring the rates and we end up with solid warning criteria rather than drawn out over 30 hours to give us "only" 8-9" of snow. I had a similar total in the Feb 29-Mar 1 event last year as Dec 29, but Dec 29 was a lot more exciting.

Dew points are absolutely plummeting all the sudden up here.  -10F for a Td here and -14F at St Johnsbury.  Skies are clear right now, a few inches of fresh fluff on top of the old pack... going to be a cold night.  BTV's -10F to -20F forecast looks pretty good at this point.

4,000ft right now is 0F with a 46mph wind.  Wind chills down around 30 below and its only going to get worse.  Lovely.

College days were the best times. Did you get a squall?[/quote

I can only imagine the beers thrown back

Upstate NY, winters of the mid and late 60s, 18 drinking age. Amazing I'm alive! I remember one night tipping over a VW Beetle in the middle of a ferocious les squall with 4 other drunk juniors...lol.

Pretty similar--I'm 1.4" ahead of last year to date.  38.8" last year on 1/17, 40.2" so far this year.

Only finished at 75" last year which is quite a bit below average (closer to 100").

Yeah, Couple of under performers, No KU's, Just a little more cold air then last yr but basically the same results

ame="sbos_wx" post="2012114" timestamp="1358445944"]

Upstate NY, winters of the mid and late 60s, 18 drinking age. Amazing I'm alive! I remember one night tipping over a VW Beetle in the middle of a ferocious les squall with 4 other drunk juniors...lol.

Are you sure that wasn't cow  ?

Archived