• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Our house has one of those too. Almost never use it . Maybe 10 years ago was last time. It does cool house down when it’s cool outside but man .. it pulls in crazy amounts of pollen. You’ll have white counters yellowed in 2 minutes this time of year. It gets all over everything 

They're better in Sept/Oct when you still have some warm days to cool the house down quickly.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

They're better in Sept/Oct when you still have some warm days to cool the house down quickly.

If it’s cool and in the 50’s they are pretty good as you get into summer. But if it’s humid at all and run it, everything in the house gets wet and you wake up feeling like you’ve been swimming. And the pollen season they’re not usable. So a short timeframe in general 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Not New England but temp bottomed out at 39 on the car thermo on my drive from Minneapolis to Duluth this afternoon. We’ve had some bad Memorial Day weekends in NE but this is another thing altogether. 35 degree temp drop in 2 hours from MSP. Glad we don’t live here 

6adb303f96b11af765ee343d03a3e4e1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

People have been posting one of a bear in Woodstock last few days, they love the birdfeeders.

No one will convince me otherwise but their population has to be increasing, rapidly in areas.  Even a half dozen more cubs spread out in an area will increase the sightings and it can only take an extra litter of so for a local to double bear encounters.

They have zero predators.  They also aren’t predators.  So they just exist and thrive.  Humans aren’t concerned because they are docile animals who just amble about looking for easy food sources; they aren’t hunters.  Live and let live type animals.

I went almost 10 years without having a bear encounter in Vermont.  Now I have at least a half a dozen encounters with them per warm season between the mountain and town. Something has changed in the past 5-6 years despite my same life patterns.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No one will convince me otherwise but their population has to be increasing,

I think it’s been pretty widely recognized that the bear population has increased significantly over the last several years here in VT. 

https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2023-10-13/vermonts-black-bear-population-is-the-highest-its-been-in-5-years#

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

People have been posting one of a bear in Woodstock last few days, they love the birdfeeders.

Inlaws in willington had a bear snag their suet block right in front of their window while they were eating breakfast last weekend. I saw bear scat on the woods there last summer, I think they ate all the chanterelles that used to be abundant there.

Come to NJ, our bruin population is significant and we have considerably less wilderness for them to hang out in.

I agree with @powderfreakthey largely will move along, however right now is peak risk due to momma bears with cubs. Two small dogs were KIA in Sparta the other day; the owner sustained mild injury. 

It’s all about educating the people who live in “bear-country”. My personal pet peeve: trash bags put out the night before pick up, instead of early on the day of. Why not just ring the dinner bell?

Cheers all!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

No one will convince me otherwise but their population has to be increasing, rapidly in areas.  Even a half dozen more cubs spread out in an area will increase the sightings and it can only take an extra litter of so for a local to double bear encounters.

They have zero predators.  They also aren’t predators.  So they just exist and thrive.  Humans aren’t concerned because they are docile animals who just amble about looking for easy food sources; they aren’t hunters.  Live and let live type animals.

I went almost 10 years without having a bear encounter in Vermont.  Now I have at least a half a dozen encounters with them per warm season between the mountain and town. Something has changed in the past 5-6 years despite my same life patterns.

One guy in Woodstock posted about a bear that raided his bee hives, they made a mess, he had quite a few too.