• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

River is super muddy this morning, though hasn't risen much.  Combo of freshly plowed fields and yesterday's TS.  A friend with a scanner heard lots of calls about trees down, wires down, Farmington, Wilton, other towns.  We had 0.42" but the real action passed a few miles to our south.
Low of 45 this morning, first sub-50 since May 14, real CoC stuff, with enough breeze to make the black flies work for a meal.  The month's first 13 days were almost exactly on the average.  14-23 was +9.3, pulling the month up to +4.1.

82/47.....

Just installed a whole house fan yesterday....our valley radiates so well, even on hot days with lower humidity, it was almost a no brainer. Wish I was familiar with them sooner. In 2 hours, it took the house from 80 to 70, had to turn it off, it was actually getting too chilly inside by 10 pm last night. We got one that works for our 2600 sqft house and on high only uses around 500 watts.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Spinners into SNE as well along warm front 

I am not sure we will see the sfc warm front make much progress into SNE. It may get held way back across NY/PA. I'm not even sure if we have a shot for thunderstorms with the current look. Don't even see any elevated CAPE getting into the region. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

82/47.....

Just installed a whole house fan yesterday....our valley radiates so well, even on hot days with lower humidity, it was almost a no brainer. Wish I was familiar with them sooner. In 2 hours, it took the house from 80 to 70, had to turn it off, it was actually getting too chilly inside by 10 pm last night. We got one that works for our 2600 sqft house and on high only uses around 500 watts.

Interesting…84/57 here.

56 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

82/47.....

Is this an attic fan, that pulls in outside air? 

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The fan is in the attic, vent is located near the top of the steps. Open a few windows downstairs and it's sucks the outside air inside, pushing the hot air up and into the attic. With the right attic ventilation it will push the hot air into and out of the attic. Cooling the house and eventually the attic as well. I didn't expect it to work so well, sort of a hard to believe deal, but our neighbors have one, so I got to see it in action before I bought one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That's our strategy.  On warmer days the fan gets used as soon as the outside temp drops below the inside.  The AC mode of the heat pump is used as needed when the outside temp is the warmer, and daytime only while we're relatively near it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

The fan is in the attic, vent is located near the top of the steps. Open a few windows downstairs and it's sucks the outside air inside, pushing the hot air up and into the attic. With the right attic ventilation it will push the hot air into and out of the attic. Cooling the house and eventually the attic as well. I didn't expect it to work so well, sort of a hard to believe deal, but our neighbors have one, so I got to see it in action before I bought one.

Our house has one of those too. Almost never use it . Maybe 10 years ago was last time. It does cool house down when it’s cool outside but man .. it pulls in crazy amounts of pollen. You’ll have white counters yellowed in 2 minutes this time of year. It gets all over everything 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Our house has one of those too. Almost never use it . Maybe 10 years ago was last time. It does cool house down when it’s cool outside but man .. it pulls in crazy amounts of pollen. You’ll have white counters yellowed in 2 minutes this time of year. It gets all over everything 

It does, and if you're allergic.....Have fun. You'll feel like a bag of dicks in the morning. Or at least I do! Air Condo this time of year. Windows are for fall. 

7 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

It does, and if you're allergic.....Have fun. You'll feel like a bag of dicks in the morning. Or at least I do! Air Condo this time of year. Windows are for fall. 

There’s been posters on here over the years ( some prominent ones) that refused to install until June or July and had small children that were warned about the effects sleeping covered in pollen and on sheets etc has a on the  children as they get older in terms of developing allergies. These same posters also would teach their children how to write the alphabet in the pollen on the furniture. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 3

5 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

82/47.....

Next house I build or buy will have one, the house I'm in now has C/air but would rather try to get by without it.

• Like 2