• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve noticed full leaf  out takes 2 months in SNE. Starts late Morch and ends mid - late Mayorch. It happens in 2 weeks in NNE. Interesting phenomenon. 

Less species diversity in the colder and mountain climates?  No idea, just thinking aloud.  Or once the ground finally thaws up to a growing temp the sun is very high in the sky and it all explodes?  It does happen fast.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Less species diversity in the colder and mountain climates?  No idea, just thinking aloud.  Or once the ground finally thaws up to a growing temp the sun is very high in the sky and it all explodes?  It does happen fast.

stuff around here changed very fast this year

4 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

stuff around here changed very fast this year

The one I find fascinating is at the highest elevations you can get buds to start to open up even with patchy snow melting out around the tree in May.  See it more out west with their snowpacks, but I’ve noticed it a couple times on Mansfield at that like 3-4K feet level where patchy snow remains into May…and it’s kind of a head scratcher to me.

Like the vegetation is saying we don’t care about the ground being insulated with a melting snow cover, the sun is so strong we need to take advantage of it while we have it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Pics?

Most came out crappy lol took the pic of Boston from the side of the road in Princeton I believe..? It's a couple miles past the entrance for wachusett but awesome views

received_350998068001748.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The one I find fascinating is at the highest elevations you can get buds to start to open up even with patchy snow melting out around the tree in May.  See it more out west with their snowpacks, but I’ve noticed it a couple times on Mansfield at that like 3-4K feet level where patchy snow remains into May…and it’s kind of a head scratcher to me.

Like the vegetation is saying we don’t care about the ground being insulated with a melting snow cover, the sun is so strong we need to take advantage of it while we have it.

could it be that the sun heats up the trunk of the tree so much that the little patch of snow doesn't even affect it?

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Farmers in the Midwest love late snow. It’s called “ farmers Gold”.

Snow on the ground may not do much to impede anything. In fact if anything, it’s only excreting nitrogen into the soil  

• Like 1

Still patches of snow high up on Mt. Washington but it’s leafed out all the way to where there aren’t leaves anymore. After breakfast we went over to N. Conway through Crawford Notch and came back through Bear Notch and the Kancamagus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Still patches of snow high up on Mt. Washington but it’s leafed out all the way to where there aren’t leaves anymore. After breakfast we went over to N. Conway through Crawford Notch and came back through Bear Notch and the Kancamagus. 

Went right by me!

33F for a low this morning but no damage to plants 

3 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Most came out crappy lol took the pic of Boston from the side of the road in Princeton I believe..? It's a couple miles past the entrance for wachusett but awesome views

received_350998068001748.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpg

Yeah I love that spot, it's around 1200' or a touch higher

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Took a ride over to Northern NH today and had breakfast at Polly’s Pancake Parlor in Franconia. Stunning day and views. 

IMG_4266.jpeg

Pollys is the bomb. Steined this morning. Probably a good thing as we party to 1AM and my decks and pool area were loaded with towels and clothes. All cleaned up hopefully clearing later this morning for BBQ2. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well first its mid April to first week of May, hype aside species diversity is the reason down here.

suns already out here hoping it stays that way

Thus, we are more likely to see typical rather than severe
thunderstorms today. That said, a few storms could get strong
enough to produce some hail or gusty straight-line winds. The
more sunshine we get this morning, which is not expected to be
much overall, the greater the risk for stronger storms this
afternoon.
  • Like 1