• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

Got massively lucky where I am in Texas. A big blobby low cloud moved in 10 minutes from totality but got out of the way with 1 minute to spare. 

Stole this from my brother, so cool to see the activity shooting up off the surface of the sun.

Incredible stuff.

IMG_2479.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Temp dropped from 74F to 69F at IAD.

Definitely noticed the temp drop here! I didn't notice by how much, but there was a definite difference between 3:20 and an hour ago.

Here is my 80% totality pic from NoVA, taken through a solar filter, and a pic of the friggin' cloud bank that moved in about 5 minutes after I snapped that pic at 3:20. Because, of course, that's my eclipse luck...a last minute, rogue popup thunderstorm ruined the 2017 eclipse at my location as well.

image.jpeg.7332ee668808badb82d2313c99ec663c.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1e7e70fac3c00c9bfa900c11cb46a69.jpeg

• Like 5

Was very cool to see a ton of people out in the local park by my house, just watching. We had good timing with the cloud deck here as it approached maximum. Everything muted, gray, and cool, but still quite bright. A sort of eerie light when you look at the woods or the sky away from the sun and see blue... but it's just not the right shade. Awesome!

• Like 1

crappy phone picture does not do it justice. the sun had a black hole in the middle of it, and it was surrounded by white flames, with a red ball of fire on the bottom. and that was after the light quickly drained away leaving the aftertaste of dread. so incredible.

53640972533_45c8511de9_b.jpg

• Like 8

89.4% at 3:17. A total failure because a heavy stratus deck moved in around 3. The weak radiation at 11% couldn't burn through the clouds.  Now back to 15% and the sun is returning but too late!

21 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Was very cool to see a ton of people out in the local park by my house, just watching. We had good timing with the cloud deck here as it approached maximum. Everything muted, gray, and cool, but still quite bright. A sort of eerie light when you look at the woods or the sky away from the sun and see blue... but it's just not the right shade. Awesome!

Same here, lucked out on clouds.

• Like 1

From Colesville, MD. 

ETA: This was achieved using an 8" dobsonian telescope (not motorized) w/42mm eyepiece and an S24 Ultra manually held up to the eyepiece in 200 megapixel mode. 9.25" solar filter used on the tube itself. Crude astrophotography is definitely possible using less than stellar setups. Just have to have the patience. Non-motorized/computer controller telescopes like this are sub-$600 and some are much lower even. Downside is the 30-50 pounds of weight they can carry with them. 

Untitled.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic