Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

19 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’ve considered it. A smart person would’ve booked refundable hotels in different spots and waited til a few days before to pick the best shot based on the forecast. If I pull it off… I’m probably driving somewhere the day before and sleeping in my car

That’s me.  Syracuse and Louisville, and then drive into the path early in the morning.

• Like 2

Paid for a hotel in Dallas and taking the family on a roadtrip down there. Weather is my primary concern and I’d expect much of the Great Lakes and the Midwest to be cloudy. The further SW you travel, the stronger the odds of clear skies. Unlike with the last eclipse, motels and hotels along much of the path are cheap. 
Good to get my astronomy fix in. My 10” dob mostly gathers dust since we  moved from Southern California.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Family and I are going to my in-laws in Saranac NY, just outside of Plattsburgh. Just bought 10 pairs of eclipse sunglasses. 

Got our glasses a few days ago.  I learned my lesson from last time when I waited too long and paid an arm and leg for them.

• Like 1

I've got family in the Cleveland area and planning to go up there (not sure if I'll drive or fly yet).  We can observe it right from their deck easily enough and avoid crazy crowds downtown or whatever.  Looking at getting one of those solar lens filters for my camera to get some shots, and those eclipse glasses.  Only thing is...northeast Ohio in early April...typically can be gray/rainy.  But we'll see.  Seems we could easily enough drive elsewhere if it's clear somewhere else nearby.  It's also the Guardians' home opener, of all things, and they'll be playing right when the eclipse will occur.

Closest I ever saw an eclipse at totality was in 1994, there was an annular eclipse that was at its max around Toledo, OH,  I was in Columbus at the time and it was about 80% coverage there (as I recall)...it did get pretty dim.  It was cool how any sun or light that came through leaves left crescent-shaped shadows on the ground.  I was here in the DC area for the big 2017 eclipse but it wasn't as much as the annular one, though still cool!

I cant miss work as I am taking a 2 week vacation later in April. But Winchester is supposed to get to 92% coverage. Anyone know if the sky will get darker at that percentage of coverage?

Edit: NVM I found a pretty cool eclipse simulator online. And yes it is going to get dark out here for a few minutes:

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simulator/2024/42046?elevation=220

Was still living in Greenville, SC for the last one, lucky enough to be right in the middle of the path of totality. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever personally had. Even my husband, who is not easily impressed, was stunned silent. Nothing can beat watching it from your backyard, but it's definitely worth a trip to see it at least once!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Also ordered my glasses yesterday! If I chicken out and don’t go anywhere I at least want to be able to stare at the sun for a bit

You need to go ‘chase’ and see the path of totality.  It’s breathtaking and just amazing.  It’s night/day (punny) compared to even 95% coverage.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You need to go ‘chase’ and see the path of totality.  It’s breathtaking and just amazing.  It’s night/day (punny) compared to even 95% coverage.

I know you are right! I'm very lazy... inertia often wins. Have the PTO to support the journey, though, assuming weather holds in a drivable distance. Need to make someone go with me to lock it in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StormyClearweather said:

Was still living in Greenville, SC for the last one, lucky enough to be right in the middle of the path of totality. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever personally had. Even my husband, who is not easily impressed, was stunned silent. Nothing can beat watching it from your backyard, but it's definitely worth a trip to see it at least once!

I spent the last event on the Foothills Parkway Overlook just east of Maryville TN. Absolutely awesome experience, especially from that high an elevation and watching the darkness close in around you. I HIGHLY recommend getting in the centerline on totality if folks can. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I cant miss work as I am taking a 2 week vacation later in April. But Winchester is supposed to get to 92% coverage. Anyone know if the sky will get darker at that percentage of coverage?

Edit: NVM I found a pretty cool eclipse simulator online. And yes it is going to get dark out here for a few minutes:

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simulator/2024/42046?elevation=220

it will be dimmer, as if it got cloudy--in 2017 i think we were in the 80-90% zone and i noticed that it got darker.

we're away the week before, and then away for a week in early May, which is why we're just taking our chances with Cleveland. I have been reading an eclipse Facebook group and people are cautioning that the roads are likely to be jammed. if the roads are jammed around us the hotel has a patio out back which would work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nj2va said:

I was staying in Asheville for the last eclipse and drove to Sylva, NC (short distance away) and traffic was crazy both in/out of the path of totality.  Plan for busy roads day of if you’re driving that day.  

Some in the New England sub have been discussing this. They’re expecting gridlock in NNE parts of NY/VT/NH. 

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic