Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 minute ago, NittanyWx said:

The winner ended up being that merritt/287/91/84 box after all.  The loser is me for bitching out about it last night after the HRRR.  Shoulda stuck with original call.

Very odd storm modeling wise-the models had the correct solution Sunday night give or take then went off the rails.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park's next measurement is at 1 pm. The 7 am figure was 1.2". Central Park should be at or over 4".

Don will this storm make it into your table of one of the heaviest snowfalls with temps at or above 33F? I really hope it does.  It never got to 32F or below in the park did it?

I would love to see if we can make a list of these types of storms for the airports too-- one for JFK and one for LGA (and maybe one for EWR too.)

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Is that a birdhouse I see there? But were are the birds lol? We always have a bunch of bright red cardinals come out during and after a snowstorm looking for food.  They look absolutely exceptional in the snow.

the middle one is a peanut feeder and the one on the far right is a screech owl box that a squirrel lives in

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Finally some good rates in this final band 

That friggin' subsidence hole killed us for 3 hours.  I went from 4.0" at 8:30 am to 5.4" at 11:30 am which is 1/2" per hour vs. the 1.75"/hr I got before 8:30 am and many others in CNJ/NNJ continued to get 1-2"/hr rates.  Conservatively, I'm guessing we missed out on at least 2" of snow.  Damn.  Is coming down good now - could get to 6" if lucky...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

The winner ended up being that merritt/287/91/84 box after all.  The loser is me for bitching out about it last night after the HRRR.  Shoulda stuck with original call.

This was a tough one, didn’t envy the meteorologists making calls yesterday. What do you do when the models show sudden drastic shifts, almost completely in unison? Yeah, tough one. 

Just now, RU848789 said:

That friggin' subsidence hole killed us for 3 hours.  I went from 4.0" at 8:30 am to 5.4" at 11:30 am which is 1/2" per hour vs. the 1.75"/hr I got before 8:30 am and many others in CNJ/NNJ continued to get 1-2"/hr rates.  Conservatively, I'm guessing we missed out on at least 2" of snow.  Damn.  Is coming down good now - could get to 6" if lucky...

Yup. We would have been on our way to 8-9 but still a stolid storm considering the winter 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 11:30 am, it's 33F and snowing moderately with 5.4" OTG, so only 0.4" the last hour, as rates just haven't been great, missing out on the best bands for the last 3 hours; we had 4.0" at 8:30 am, so only 1.5" the last 3 hours while the good bands were giving people 1-2" per hour (we got 1.75"/hr  before 8:30 am). Oh well.  One last band to go through in the next 30 min or so and if we're lucky we'll get to 6", but not sure, although as I'm typing this the snow has gone to almost heavy for the first time in hours, so maybe.  

how do you account for compaction? I know we've had some melting during the periods of lighter snow with temps at 33

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

This was a tough one, didn’t envy the meteorologists making calls yesterday. What do you do when the models show sudden drastic shifts, almost completely in unison? Yeah, tough one. 

Yep and I don't blame them for being skeptical and waiting as long as possible to make changes. You don't just drop forecasts for 8-12 or ramp up amounts on the southern edge which now seem like the models were overdoing

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Is that a birdhouse I see there? But were are the birds lol? We always have a bunch of bright red cardinals come out during and after a snowstorm looking for food.  They look absolutely exceptional in the snow.

I have a Cardinal couple that has been living here for 6 or 7 years. They roost in the boxwood bush in front of my house every night. I've been seeing this lovely couple so long that it's hard to imagine life without them, lol. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

how do you account for compaction? I know we've had some melting during the periods of lighter snow with temps at 33

you don't, although I did clear the board around 11:00 am (allowed every 6 hours), so the last inch plus will be less compacted.  It is important to have the board or whatever measuring spot out of the indirect sunlight, as that will melt the snow a bit at the surface, increasing compaction; my spot is on the north side of my house.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don will this storm make it into your table of one of the heaviest snowfalls with temps at or above 33F? I really hope it does.  It never got to 32F or below in the park did it?

I would love to see if we can make a list of these types of storms for the airports too-- one for JFK and one for LGA (and maybe one for EWR too.)

Those figures are based on the daily minimum temperature. If the temperature stays above freezing through midnight, this storm would almost certainly rank among the highest on the list.

• Like 1

5.3" here in Bayside, Queens. Still coming down quite well, should be over in 1 hour, and crack 6" maybe. Temps were just too warm to start off with or this would have been higher impact. Or maybe since it was only from 6 am to 12-1 pm. 7 hours is just too short of a time for significant totals

• Like 3