Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

8 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Ripping snow here definitely going to exceed 6" here.

I have all of that already and more north of HPN in Hawthorne.  I could get to a foot.  NWS says 5 to 9 for today, which brings me to possibly 13.  Anything over 10 and I'm thrilled but already happy with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Plus it was 40° when the precip started and the ratios weren’t the greatest so this would have been more snow if we had a cold air mass in place ahead of the storm. 

I understand however I have to disagree to an extent. When all areas around are getting heavier banding it's bad luck. 33 is plenty cold enough. If the banding was a little east or west CPK would easily have 6 inches with this storm.

This is where records can be misleading. I would agree if CPK was 35 or all of LI had no snow.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's happened many times over the years. It is what it is. It doesn't mean we won't see anymore snow but we were stuck in it for an hour at least 

I know, people here in the past often did not believe me. Like, why would I make that up?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I think this is about our ceiling for this one. Enjoy it. After the last two years, it's a welcome sight. 

I can't complain too much as we did way better than most in CNJ/NENJ this year by getting lucky with good bands, which is why I had 7.3" before this storm.  Still hoping we get to 6-7" assuming it fills in and we snow well for 2 more hours.  We'll see.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I understand however I have to disagree to an extent. When all areas around are getting heavier banding it's bad luck. 33 is plenty cold enough. If the banding was a little east or west CPK would easily have 6 inches with this storm.

This is where records can be misleading. I would agree if CPK was 35 or all of LI had no snow.

It only got down to 33° after it had been snowing for several hours. So not having cold air in place ahead of a storm is going to reduce accumulations to some extent especially in such an urbanized setting like NYC. Where the banding sets up is always an issue but it helps to maximize accumulations if we are colder when the storm starts.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

It only got down to 33° after it had been snowing for several hours. So not having cold air in place ahead of a storm is going to reduce accumulations to some extent especially in such an urbanized setting like NYC. Where the banding sets up is always an issue but it helps to maximize accumulations if we are colder when the storm starts.

It's fair to say a couple of inches were lost but it's been sticking for the past several hours so not having the best rates / dynamics now will cut in even more than the warm start. 

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I can't complain too much as we did way better than most in CNJ/NENJ this year by getting lucky with good bands, which is why I had 7.3" before this storm.  Still hoping we get to 6-7" assuming it fills in and we snow well for 2 more hours.  We'll see.  

Back to big fat flakes here

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

Right I get that if it were 19 degrees like the blizzard of 96 it would have accumulated quicker. However, what I am saying here is if everyone else gets say 6 inches, yet CPK gets 2.9, an under 3 inch record is misleading. The fact that CPK only got 2.9 has nothing to do with temps when all other areas with same or higher temps received more. The under 3 inch record would be very misleading.

• Like 1