Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

36 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Truthfully you probably don't want to see mostly snow down to near ACY like the RAP is showing if you want big snows NYC area. This will have a pretty narrow axis of heaviest snow I think.

People need to stop looking at these clown maps in marginal temps. Take the number it shows and divide it by 2 and then take that number and divide it by 2. No way coastal Nj is getting anywhere near those numbers. Lots of no stick and white rain. 

• Thanks 2

Long Island Sound convergence potential, will enhance rates over n metro NYC and into ne NJ, given rapid intensification over Atlantic, expect very strong wind gusts to develop in that zone also. Expected obs in zone would be S+ 31/30 0632G47. Near blizzard conditions could develop locally. Possible TSW also. 

Thinking around 4-6" JFK, 5-7" NYC, 8-10" LGA and EWR, 7-9" ISP and 10-12" sw CT. Would double expected snow (to 3-6) in central NJ, arctic front will be past ACY by 12z. Too bad it's so fast, could be a 20" type of event at a slower pace. Track is now locking into a perfect hit. Sharp n cutoff may be overdone, these storms often find a way to throw a bit of extra moisture north, but axis of heaviest snowfalls likely to be near e/c PA to n/c NJ to n shore of LI Sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People need to stop looking at these clown maps in marginal temps. Take the number it shows and divide it by 2 and then take that number and divide it by 2. No way coastal Nj is getting anywhere near those numbers. Lots of no stick and white rain. 

I like when names I don’t recognize pop up prior to a storm.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I'm not even looking at the kuchie maps. Snow depth for me. 

29 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, I think probably 3-6” on the grass in Central Park with less on NYC pavement since temps above freezing. 

It doesn't matter if it's above freezing to snow. The snow will stick if it comes down hard.

9 minutes ago, North and West said:

I like when names I don’t recognize pop up prior to a storm.

Not only that, but sometimes names will pop up that have 15,000 posts and I wonder how did I never see this handle before?  Then I think maybe it's me who's 'popping up' since I'm only here in earnest when it snows and maybe they're here year round.  Unless posters change names, if that's a thing?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

I can see Long Island as a whole doing good as storm blows up more… latest HRR shows that as it engulfs the whole island with a heavy band at hour 18

I would agree with this. The key -IMO- is the phase. If it is cleaner and the storm explodes, then we have a game on system with a substantial hit for the Tri-State. IF it develops a bit late, then C/E LI have a moderate to significant hit and the rest of the Tri-State is a left behind. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

This is wrong.  Intensity is the key.  At >1" per hour, snow will accumulate in April at midday at 35F, so 33-34F in the morning in February won't be an issue - if we get that intensity, which is more than enough to overcome the melting rate.  Ratios more likely to be in the 7-9:1 range unless you're talking about areas where mixing is occurring in the column.  

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I would agree with this. The key -IMO- is the phase. If it is cleaner and the storm explodes, then we have a game on system with a substantial hit for the Tri-State. IF it develops a bit late, then C/E LI have a moderate to significant hit and the rest of the Tri-State is a left behind. 

If the GFS is right and the mid level lows/banding go to town as it heads east off NJ, it'll be an insane few hours. Too bad there's nothing to slow the storm down but I'm liking this more and more. Glad to have been proven wrong on the N trend. 

• Like 2

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic