• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

The 10th-15th looks NS dominant-doesn't mean we can't score a bit of frozen in that window. Once the h5 pattern really starts getting good just beyond mid month, we may have to wait a few more days before the STJ gets juiced up again and starts sending waves our way.

1708192800-je4zVzg6bs8.png

1708192800-7bMu4ESO7RY.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yes...weird and illogical it is :lol: You feel like the "luck" is worse then. Not that bad luck can't happen anytime in winter, but in a less logical lense...good luck has never happened that week at all! (Even the epic 2010 couldn't do it...a storm missed us the last week of THAT Feb). And the other example you mentioned about a great setup but a weird Fujiwara thing for no reason? Until something works out I'll be paranoid until it finally does, lol

There are lots of other periods without a HECS in winter. Baltimore has only had nine 20” storms in 135 years of records!   Only 2 weeks have had more than 1 such storm. There has only been 1 20” storm the 3rd week of Feb. logically what makes you think that one fluke storm is somehow indicative that it can happen that week and not the next?  What if that one storm in 2003 hasn’t happened. Say something minor and stupid had gone wrong.  Would we now be discussing whether a hecs can happen after Feb 13 instead?  But that one time in 135 years moves the date?  And what about the fact there was a 20” storm in March?  Why is that one storm a fluke but the PD one isn’t?  They are both just one storm.  Explain the logic. 

Additionally there have been 11 storms of 10”+ in Baltimore after Feb 20. If you look at the daily snowfall records snowfall does not fall off a cliff after PD. That happens around Mid March. The frequency of 10” storms remains pretty steady until then. There must aren’t many 20” level storms. Actually the data  supports the highest probability of them falls between Jan 22 and Feb 13. 5 of the 9 fall during those 3 weeks. That is a definite trend.  But 4 fall outside and 1 after the cutoff date you’re arbitrarily crating. I have no idea why that one lone storm Feb 19 somehow makes that the cutoff in your head despite plenty of 10” and one 20” storm falling after. 

What the data indicates objectively is that our best snow climo is definitely Jan 20-Feb 12 or so.  Yes the highest probability of a huge snow is within those 3 weeks. But that outside that a 10” storm and even a hecs is possible anytime between Mid Dec and Late March and if the right pattern were to present itself it’s not impossible. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I think the writing is on the wall for this winter unfortunately. We got until the end of the month to score a climo snowfall then it's over.

I still think we score at least one big one before its over. Would just align with enso. We will get one to work out. It might only stick around for a few days, But whatever. 

• Like 1

I feel the Northeast/Mid Atlantic from central VA up to Boston gets one solid snowstorm, but the question is who gets the best. ENSO signals the Mid Atlantic, and the pattern may be favorable into March. Some of the best storms are in mid-late Feb and March all-time, so I wouldn't be discounting a late season shelling. I just want to see it snow. Staying power is the least of my worries at this point. Feb 2006 was a shelling with drippage by 10am and I still love the hell out of that system. I like watching it snow and rack up, but staying power later in the season is the least of my wants. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I think the writing is on the wall for this winter unfortunately. We got until the end of the month to score a climo snowfall then it's over.

It’s too soon to write off winter. We know we can score in Feb and March. That said, we’re losing ground quickly on the ability to retain said snow for a significant period of time. 

Id much rather have cold w a few inches on the ground for a few weeks than I would 6-8” that melts in 2 days.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Digital blue at WB Day 15 is back on 6Z GFS....let the games begin!   

IMG_3075.png

As has been the case most of the winter, the airmass is crap. Verbatim, that would be a rate/time of day dependent wet pasting for the N/W areas. That said, it’s a positive to see both this system and the one that precedes it a few days showing up. 

• Weenie 2

^I think there’s no reasonable doubt that this longwave pattern is coming. Question now becomes tracking individual shortwaves. Period around the 12th still looks too warm to me. EPS is very northern stream dominated for that period. GEFS has a southern low pass more or less over us on the means, but airmass is pretty bad leading in. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

^I think there’s no reasonable doubt that this longwave pattern is coming. Question now becomes tracking individual shortwaves. Period around the 12th still looks too warm to me. EPS is very northern stream dominated for that period. GEFS has a southern low pass more or less over us on the means, but airmass is pretty bad leading in. 

At this point temps are conceivably cold enough to snow, but most of the energy is from the NS. That is a function of the coupled PNA/EPO in conjunction with the developing -NAO, and the stretched TPV in between.

STJ looks poised to eject some waves eastward beyond this period.

1708106400-YoerKLLq9rg.png

1708106400-3z6kw1OPHNg.png

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic