Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

When is the last time a vort shifted souther for us?  I’m not trying to a wet blanket i swear, but NAM is smoking herb laced with something. It’s just such a radical change. 

It's delivering huge bumps of copium to all on this board right now, and not one of us is going to turn it down. The question is whether the GFS brings news that the NAM's goods were laced with fentanyl or if it was pure.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

It's delivering huge bumps of copium to all on this board right now, and not one of us is going to turn it down. The question is whether the GFS brings news that the NAM's goods were laced with fentanyl or if it was pure.

If the GFS gets on board then I’ll be interested. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can't believe creating a new thread really worked

If this one continues to get better, that would be twice this week it appears to have worked, haha Sounds like Mappy is a convert :lol:

P.S. What happened to your green tag? You and Randy have a fight or something?

• Haha 2

When you look at the whole setup, the potential is there.  Got a vort swinging through with a low developing off the coast of the Carolinas.  This isn't a nor'easter, but if one or both vorts are stronger and further south than modeled, then there's a path to victory (via several inches).  Looks like a daytime event (mostly) and should be powdery.  Both of those are part of my grading criteria.

Funny seeing people talk about winter grades yesterday because I was randomly thinking about that during my drive yesterday.  Winter gets a C+ so far.  This event could get it solidly into the B category.  Also, I mentioned this before, but the idea of getting those rainers to get out of the drought followed by snowfall always seemed like an ideal situation.  Creeks and streams are flowing better than I've seen in the past year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think that this is a storm for which the super generous Kuchera ratios will work well.    It's not super cold, and lift does not appear to be maximized in the DGZ.      With cold ground and temps a few degrees below freezing, this might be one of those cases in which the 10:1 maps actually work pretty well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

it is - that map jumped the gun

1705719600-OtfcXJGaZOw.png

I made it to the very end of the gray scale...like there is no level of gray darker than that one...if they needed a darker shade it would be black..or first shade of blue would work...but lets focus on how gray my depth is  for now

• Like 1

IMG_7758.jpeg.f3332c5fe4da6a58e61ab24be6c1368d.jpeg

Thought this would be a good time to make a rudimentary snow map for ole times sake. Apologies for the crude map design. Doing this on my phone, but still works good enough. Each area is a zone with a first call forecast. Might have a few edits later, but this could very well be my only call. 

Forecast

Zone A: Nothing-1” (Trace begins north of Potomac latitude); Up to 2” possible if everything breaks right

Zone B: 1-2” w/ max to 3” if everything breaks right

Zone C: 2-4” (Highest across Parrs Ridge; elevations >600’) 

Zone D: 2.5-5” w/ local max of 6” (Highest along the M/D Line and elevations >850’. Lowest in elevations <275’ in valleys)

Zone E: 5-10” 

Catoctins: 4-6” w/ max to 7”

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

IMG_7758.jpeg.f3332c5fe4da6a58e61ab24be6c1368d.jpeg

Thought this would be a good time to make a rudimentary snow map for ole times sake. Apologies for the crude map design. Doing this on my phone, but still works good enough. Each area is a zone with a first call forecast. Might have a few edits later, but this could very well be my only call. 

Forecast

Zone A: Nothing-1” (Trace begins north of Potomac latitude); Up to 2” possible if everything breaks right

Zone B: 1-2” w/ max to 3” if everything breaks right

Zone C: 2-4” (Highest across Parrs Ridge; elevations >600’) 

Zone D: 2.5-5” w/ local max of 6” (Highest along the M/D Line and elevations >850’. Lowest in elevations <275’ in valleys)

Zone E: 5-10” 

Catoctins: 4-6” w/ max to 7”

Works for me lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

I don't think that this is a storm for which the super generous Kuchera ratios will work well.    It's not super cold, and lift does not appear to be maximized in the DGZ.      With cold ground and temps a few degrees below freezing, this might be one of those cases in which the 10:1 maps actually work pretty well.

I think the average will be right around that 10-12:1, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Parrs Ridge crew above 800’ and the Catoctins get closer to 14-15:1 overall. They seem to pull that in these types of setups. Not a crazy storm and one where the max is limited in potential, but snow on snow is always welcomed. 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic