Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 18-19 Storm Threat: Bob Chill made me do it

stormtracker

Just now, Paleocene said:

At this stage, can we pull out weenie handbook rule #725 and say "at this stage it's appropriate to rely on mesos rather than globals" and ignore global runs that don't paint the DC metro area blue?

I already have of course. But it DID work last time!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I seriously don't get the negativity in here this morning.  It's wild.  For those of you who want to bellyache, how about heading over the panic room and staying there?  

People saw that JB is comparing this potential to the PD Blizzard so naturally folks are disappointed now because they remember he was actually correct with one storm in  Feb 2010.

There seems to have been more room for coastal development with the last system. This time, the flow up top seems more progressive with the cold front basically plowing thru before next week’s moderating trend. I think the way to win is to be able to get the low to redevelop quicker and closer to the coast before it exits the stage.

Just now, Imgoinhungry said:

Which model did a better job with total precipitation last storm? Gfs or euro?

The reliable ones all did well. Mesos did well too. Imo- euro was the most consistent inside of 72 hours and verified well. Others were more jumpy. Right now we're haggling over a tenth of an inch of qpf so subtle changes feel bigger than they really are.

• Like 1

I have nothing to add right now that hasn’t already been said. I hate NS dominated systems, but this one has more potential than our usual nothing-burgers. 

General 1-3” with up to 4” in the hills and areas along and west of US15. ECMWF has been fairly firm on its depiction last succession of runs. QPF between 0.15-0.35 will be common with better lift through the aid of a strong mid-upper speed max cutting underneath. Should be in the left exit region of the jet for a period of time on Friday to generate good lift and nice dendrites before everything pushes out. 

Those looking for a bigger hit (6+”) should probably look elsewhere. This is missing some components for a bigger storm. The main component decided to rush out ahead of the primary vort which will negate full phasing or even more substantial interactions. Unless that slows down and the NS can catch it with short term trends, bar should be 5” or less everywhere. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I have nothing to add right now that hasn’t already been said. I hate NS dominated systems, but this one has more potential than our usual nothing-burgers. 

General 1-3” with up to 4” in the hills and areas along and west of US15. ECMWF has been fairly firm on its depiction last succession of runs. QPF between 0.15-0.35 will be common with better lift through the aid of a strong mid-upper speed max cutting underneath. Should be in the left exit region of the jet for a period of time on Friday to generate good lift and nice dendrites before everything pushes out. 

Those looking for a bigger hit (6+”) should probably look elsewhere. This is missing some components for a bigger storm. The main component decided to rush out ahead of the primary vort which will negate full phasing or even more substantial interactions. Unless that slows down and the NS can catch it with short term trends, bar should be 5” or less everywhere. 

100% agree. My thinking that we could get some top end potential 6"+ from yesterday is gone. But that's not a bad thing. We're looking at another solid advisory level event headed into a weekend. :snowing: 

• Like 2

Model grab bag. 

JMA total precip (looking very good!)

egvLtj6.png

12z ARPEGE (JUICY!!!)

lKABD3s.png

ACCESS-G shows about 0.25 to 0.35 in liquid equivalent, tough to tell with this scale.

GdpDI61.png

And of course the UM(mmmmm) model is the driest. does UM have a dry bias? we'll see

jkBXNLp.png

557ww model...well...it doesn't have many good parameters other than 700mb RH and that looks north throughout the event, including at 00z on saturday. Though this is the 00z run of 557ww. so take it with a grain of salt until the 557ww computer processes the new 12z data.

dcBQX5u.gif

And last but not least is the RHMC model, which I assume stands for Ronald McDonald House Charities. Looks like widespread.....1 and 2 throughout the forum. 

lc8x9CG.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 4

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

I seriously don't get the negativity in here this morning.  It's wild.  For those of you who want to bellyache, how about heading over the panic room and staying there?  

This. I scroll on this site as much as I read and enjoy. The fake insta panic about every run, or foggy past memories and nostalgia of snowstorms can be cringe worthy.

I asked one of the mets at CWG if the Appalachian mountains were flattened would we get more clippers at this confluence of water body, mountain and lower plain. The answer was yes! So if you want more snow, our duty is clear. Blow those suckers up!!

image.png.98bb7c617b422399ac25948239f1626d.png

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

Model grab bag. 

JMA total precip (looking very good!)

egvLtj6.png

12z ARPEGE (JUICY!!!)

lKABD3s.png

ACCESS-G shows about 0.25 to 0.35 in liquid equivalent, tough to tell with this scale.

GdpDI61.png

And of course the UM(mmmmm) model is the driest. does UM have a dry bias? we'll see

jkBXNLp.png

557ww model...well...it doesn't have many good parameters other than 700mb RH and that looks north throughout the event, including at 00z on saturday. Though this is the 00z run of 557ww. so take it with a grain of salt until the 557ww computer processes the new 12z data.

dcBQX5u.gif

And last but not least is the RHMC model, which I assume stands for Ronald McDonald House Charities. Looks like widespread.....1 and 2 throughout the forum. 

lc8x9CG.gif

don't forget the Spire

1705752000-Qx4eDyvmX9k.png

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Predictions for the euro, a nice swath of 2-4 from N edge of DC (say about Georgetown) to the M/D line. About .2-.25" QPF for most. 

I imagine it holds or shifts the slightest bit north. It’s been consistent recently, which is great for my hood being consistently over 3”. Good dynamics should help with this one so long as the jet doesn’t cross north of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic