Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

Nice little overperforming storm.

It does concern me that we can't get accumulating snows on the street with temps in the 20's during the day. Its kind of amazing how wet this storm was considering how cold it was. I don't remember that in the past. 20's= cold powder blowing across the street.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevWarReenactor said:

It does concern me that we can't get accumulating snows on the street with temps in the 20's during the day. Its kind of amazing how wet this storm was considering how cold it was. I don't remember that in the past. 20's= cold powder blowing across the street.

Why would it concern you? Are 20s nowadays warmer than they were 50 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sure some will disagree and say temps before don't matter, but IMO the warmish temps we had(I had) the few days prior to this storm affected accums.  If it had been 30s leading up to this then I think roads/grass would have caved sooner.  But I got to 49F before the squall front Sunday.  To me and my experience, the ground and pavement was toasty.  Not a complaint but more a observation that the snow could have been better for some if you take prior conditions before this storm into account.  

29F current so things will stay icy for a while.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Rates weren't high enough to compensate. As far as "powder", really need to have temps in the teens for that kind of stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Being that far east you were probably a bit warmer in the upper layers. 20 degrees is 20 degrees. 

10 minutes ago, wxmeddler said:

Rates weren't high enough to compensate. As far as "powder", really need to have temps in the teens for that kind of stuff.

This. It was like a light mist of snow. Also, because rates were so light, cloud cover wasn't as thick and the sun could do its thing. The March storms we've had in recent years that accumulated well had temps that were a bit colder but more importantly the rates were light to moderate, not glorified sprinkles.

33 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah, we are still full remote, which is amazing, but I have a feeling they are going to try to force us back a couple days a week soon for whatever nonsensical reasons they have. But yeah, the tradeoff of having to work snow days has been totally worth it given the flexibility. And we have hardly had any snow days the past however many years anyway.

This just happened at my husband's office. After this time last year saying you can choose your path of working. Told them that "we work better when we are together" without giving any stats, which ticked my husband off. He mainly works with people in the Austin, TX and Montreal office so literally goes in now to sit behind his computer and have meetings that he could be doing at home. He is required now to be in 3 days a week and two of them are Tuesday's and Wednesday's as those are "meeting" days. He is not going in today he decided. Said if they have a beef he can tell them he will just take a PTO day and not work at all. He is logged in now a half hour earlier than if he would have went in. Also he has a MX5 so that was not getting put on the roads today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm sure some will disagree and say temps before don't matter, but IMO the warmish temps we had(I had) the few days prior to this storm affected accums.  If it had been 30s leading up to this then I think roads/grass would have caved sooner.  But I got to 49F before the squall front Sunday.  To me and my experience, the ground and pavement was toasty.  Not a complaint but more a observation that the snow could have been better for some if you take prior conditions before this storm into account.  

There's no doubt that the paved surfaces were too warm to cave with rates like they were. Things were covered when I woke up, but it was only 0.5", so it melted from beneath before too long. Then you get just a little insolation and already-wet ground, so snow won't pile up with meager rates.

I was honestly impressed with how easily it accumulated on elevated surfaces and grass given the rates!

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

I think it was a sun angle + rates problems more than a temps problem. I guess if it was sub-20 it all would've stuck, but the second rates improved ever so slightly and the sun went down the roads caved no problem. 

Maybe it didn't happen for you - but the roads caved overnight during the pre-show in the neighborhood. Hence my slight skepticism 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

This just happened at my husband's office. After this time last year saying you can choose your path of working. Told them that "we work better when we are together" without giving any stats, which ticked my husband off. He mainly works with people in the Austin, TX and Montreal office so literally goes in now to sit behind his computer and have meetings that he could be doing at home. He is required now to be in 3 days a week and two of them are Tuesday's and Wednesday's as those are "meeting" days. He is not going in today he decided. Said if they have a beef he can tell them he will just take a PTO day and not work at all. He is logged in now a half hour earlier than if he would have went in. Also he has a MX5 so that was not getting put on the roads today. 

It's very frustrating. I get that some jobs are such that you are more productive in an office setting, but most office jobs are not that way. For me, personally, I am for more productive at home than I was in the office. I don't have people constantly stopping by to talk about nothing, we don't schedule meetings unless they are actually needed, and I'm just far happier overall which makes me more productive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TowsonTownT said:

Which model did best with this one? Seemed a bit of a rollercoaster with the GFS sniffing it out early then losing it then finding it again.

Seemed like GFS. Mesos seemed to be a bit too bullish once the event got going. GFS had a solid 4-5.5 across the area and that seemed to have verified very well. Euro seemed too dry.

• Like 3

Haven't measured at my place but reports around me are all in the 2.5-4" range. We had some light ZR around dawn as those last bands came through, should glacier up nicely tonight. 

We're running a few degrees below forecast down this way. Last night's short range guidance had central VA making it almost to 40F before the front arrives this afternoon. Seems like that's going to bust low.

30/25 with thick overcast in Hooville.

• Like 1