• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

3 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

1 1/4" snow here in GarwoNJ) and the town plowed, after salting twice.  That's two separate OT for the taxpayers for 1" events.  Unprecedented.

Send them a thank you note. Worst accident I ever had was in half inch of snow in 98 in March, when no one bothered to salt or plow. Live in a place with low taxes, get low services. Taxes are the price of civilization. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:01 AM, NittanyWx said:

This particular issue was a function of underdoing the upstream plains trough.  Something it has done during nearly every significant arctic outbreak into Texas over the past few years.  

As the model recognizes the depth of HP/cold closer in, track gets closer to the coast as pattern becomes more amplified.

I think its more related to the Euro regularly underestimating the strength of the ridge over the Western Atlantic. 

431873B6-9EBA-4DED-A7DA-0453B45F80AA.thumb.png.83cf6e718cf348f9469251436eae498e.png

2E5B6A77-BEB9-42C0-8E48-735982883C3B.thumb.png.35ccd7b966fc0979c9dd784b41e9b5ff.png

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

1.7" up to 27 with sleet

3.9 on the season surpassing last year lol 

1.9" here. Sleet will add a little to the total, but too bad we're losing most of the rest of the storm (we might end as a little snow this afternoon) to sleet and freezing rain. Getting a couple more hours of snow mid to late morning as the intensity ramped up would have been the difference between getting 3-4 vs the 2 that we're getting.

But at least we're just about to the low end of the 2 to 4 forecast, so it isn't a bust for our area. Still a nice little event and we have more to come on Friday. This is a nice winter week and after Friday we'll already be well above what we got last winter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

1.9" here. Sleet will add a little to the total, but too bad we're losing most of the rest of the storm (we might end as a little snow this afternoon) to sleet and freezing rain. Getting a couple more hours of snow mid to late morning as the intensity ramped up would have been the difference between getting 3-4 vs the 2 that we're getting.

But at least we're just about to the low end of the 2 to 4 forecast, so it isn't a bust. Still a nice little event and we have more to come on Friday. This is a nice winter week and after Friday we'll already be well above what we got last winter. 

The radar just never filled in properly and some of the heavier bands closer to the shore robbed us but I'm happy for them as they had nothing for the past 2 years or last Saturday where at least we had a couple inches

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

sleet here in rockland. 2” on the ground.

Went back to all snow with that “heavier” band moving through. Enough to re-cover the plowed and shoveled areas, mostly light but bordering on moderate occasionally. Trying to time the shoveling of the driveway. This is gonna suck. 

1 minute ago, TJW014 said:

Definitely concerned about the flash freeze potential tonight. Much of us get down to the teens with wind chills near zero. Even treated roads may ice up.

Well traveled roads will dry out with the traffic on them-back roads different story

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Went back to all snow with that “heavier” band moving through. Enough to re-cover the plowed and shoveled areas, mostly light but bordering on moderate occasionally. Trying to time the shoveling of the driveway. This is gonna suck. 

its fluffy for fhe most part but now that we have gotten a lay of sleet it sucks. its like 75/25 snow now.

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The radar just never filled in properly and some of the heavier bands closer to the shore robbed us but I'm happy for them as they had nothing for the past 2 years or last Saturday where at least we had a couple inches

Yup. Your concern about the hrrr was well warranted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowlover11 said:

its fluffy for fhe most part but now that we have gotten a lay of sleet it sucks. its like 75/25 snow now.

Gotta try to clear it before any heavier sleet or freezing drizzle falls, but every time i step outside it switches back to snow. 

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park has just gone over to light freezing rain.

..@ 9:45 rain..temp @ 32.7..got 2" before it the c/o..

Hope it goes back to snow before it ends.

25 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

1 1/4" snow here in GarwoNJ) and the town plowed, after salting twice.  That's two separate OT for the taxpayers for 1" events.  Unprecedented.

I know Chris said with time we are getting used to the above normal temps, but one thing that should also be added is that with time we are also getting less used to snow.  I envision in a few decades we WILL be like Atlanta when it comes to snow and 1-3 inches of snow will cause school closures and major traffic situations.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yikes. Temps dropping now on the north shore. This isnt great. 

If we keep NE wind we won’t rise much if at all. Seems to be a coastal front near the twin forks where temps are in the upper 30s, let’s see if that can make headway west.