• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

The Jan 1978 storm looked similar 48h before blizzard on Jan 24, with low in TX, trof n.e.,  but it did not make a turn north until it reached AL on night of 25th -26th, then tracked almost due north deepening at double-bomb cyclone rates for 12h, attained a central pressure of 954 mbs near Sarnia-Port huron and eventually tracked between Sudbury-North Bay ON NNE into western Quebec. I looked at maps for all top ORD snowfalls and without other exceptions low pressure tracked NE through IN into central mi or e.n.e. into Ohio, except for Jan 26-78. The Nov 8-9 1913 storm ("white hurricane") followed a similar evolution (GA to sw ON). 

I don't see potential for a triple phaser as trough development is more moderate but air mass contrast is going to be real and spectacular.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Even sexier on the rgem, however it was SE with this current storm at this range so who knows at this point. Ukie/euro way nw.

Also the deformation snows look to be very tight and close to the low which hopefully will keep the dry slot away, that the euro/ukie show.

Kind of resembles a Hurricane with that eye structure LOL.

Sooo Euro has a 12"+ bomber and GFS says maybe 6"?
GFS vs Euro with very different solutions, we see it consistently in the tropics, especially with deep systems. Congrats on the wintry pattern, I was there for 3 days, left yeaterday, snow on the trees was scenic.

12 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Not bad consistency on placement and intensity 36 hours apart:

ecmwf_2024010800_126_MSLP.thumb.png.0638a55b1823832e2eed479fc10953f5.pngecmwf_2024010918_090_MSLP.thumb.png.8aaca943efcdf93eee9b293037389573.png

Actually supports why it's unlikely.  Think what these don't have in common.  Orientation and trajectory of Huge Arctic High to the north...

10 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Not bad consistency on placement and intensity 36 hours apart:

ecmwf_2024010800_126_MSLP.thumb.png.0638a55b1823832e2eed479fc10953f5.pngecmwf_2024010918_090_MSLP.thumb.png.8aaca943efcdf93eee9b293037389573.png

Excellent consistency. This solution screams mixing/dry-slotting issues for pretty much all the areas that got shafted today as well. 

Will be sampled tomorrow, should give us a better picture on what’s going to transpire, LOTS of moving pieces with this. 

One thing for certain, GRR will issue an advisory regardless of the outcome. 

7 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I don’t think we’ve had a double digit storm in the city proper since 2015

Wasn't there a big lake effect event a few years back? Remember Alek posting some pretty swag pictures. That was literally only the lakefront though if I remember right. IMBY the last snow worth a damn was in 2021, like 10 inches of concrete.