• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

My wife and I are thinking maybe we go have lunch in Harpers Ferry or maybe Charles town...we'd go to Winchester but all they have is a Sonic...suggestions?

Charlestown has an Irish pub/restaurant. I think it’s called Paddy’s. I’ve been there several times and it’s reliably good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

In all seriousness I know Winchester has a ton of good food been there many times but is that the spot for this storm or a little more NW into WV? I  mean it's only 45 minutes give or take from my house so what the heck if the snow difference is significant. We may just jump on 50 and go until the snow is real. Good luck today anyone

A lot more north than winchester  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

I stupidly thought when we were down to 29 by 9pm that we had an outside shot at starting as freezing rain or snow in Arlington. Well, I've all but thrown in the towel and can't wait for a nice, cold rain :thumbsdown:

Screenshot_20240106-071422.png

33.3 here.  Most of downtown DC is in the 36 range.

• Like 1

If you were to show me this 500mb map and nothing else, I would assume a rainstorm: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=us&pkg=z500_vort&runtime=2024010606&fh=8

We almost need an arctic airmass in place to overcome this type of mess at the upper levels.  Winds near the surface are straight out of the southwest: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=us&pkg=mslp_pwat&runtime=2024010606&fh=7

I'm going to be content if I see an hour of snow out of this.

2 minutes ago, WVsnowlover said:

Lol Winchester has way better options than Charles Town or Harper's Ferry.

I went to Winchester a couple years ago...definitely a nice, little walkable downtown.  If I remember correctly, everything was kinda consolidated into one long strip of shops and eats.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

In all seriousness I know Winchester has a ton of good food been there many times but is that the spot for this storm or a little more NW into WV? I  mean it's only 45 minutes give or take from my house so what the heck if the snow difference is significant. We may just jump on 50 and go until the snow is real. Good luck today anyone

I live between Winchester and Charles Town. Winchester typically does a bit better in these type of events as they are further west.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

OK western crew, times are tuff and imma let u in on a Iittle secret... You'd be surprised how little snow you need to report 6"+. I thought I would get thar much but not this time. Don't let me down

post-2035-0-20707400-1415898571_thumb.jpg

If I superglue 20-30 sleet pellets rounded up together in a line and place them on said 'slantstick', does that count?? 

55 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

In Augusta county? What happened to the big snow?

Not sure what Stormy is looking at, but it was progged to begin as freezing rain/mix and flip to snow around 10:00 and then back to mixing around 12:00.  Hoping to cash in on a couple inches of slop during the ‘good’ period.

TWC sent Jim Cantore to Staunton so it must be happening!  Lol

eta: 30° and freezing rain and sleet

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic