• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

25 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ (this prt at 740'MSL): 1030PM obs 11.5" of snow since it began 230PM. Most of that (9.8") in 3.5hours (7-1030PM. Mdt snow still at 1050PM 27.5F. Walt. Corrected 3.5 hour amount at 1056PM.  Sorry for my calculating mistake. 

Wow. Very impressive.  I just measured 6.75" here. Moderate snow falling.

27 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ (this prt at 740'MSL): 1030PM obs 11.5" of snow since it began 230PM. Most of that (9.8") in 3.5hours (7-1030PM. Mdt snow still at 1050PM 27.5F. Walt. Corrected 3.5 hour amount at 1056PM.  Sorry for my calculating mistake. 

Wow. Very impressive.  I just measured 6.75" here. Moderate snow falling.

28 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Wow. Very impressive. I just measured 6.75" here.

Moderate snow falling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

My snow light west of Middletown is an exquisitely precise meteorological instrument. 

Assessment: lot a snow in short time.

PXL_20240107_041455629~2.jpg

Nothing beats a good snow light during a storm.  I need to get a good one set up and not piss off my neighbors.

• Like 3

we had 5-8 in here in the Lehigh valley in most places. All I can say is that if you try to shovel this stuff, it is super wet. My snow thrower was having troubling handling it. I see many having heart issues if they try to shovel this stuff in the morning. Its like shoveling pure slush. The snow  ratio had to be less than 6:1. I have not seen this wet of a snow in five years here. The flakes were pancakes coming down for a few hours. 

Oh how I dread Tuesday night as the soils are now super saturated and not frozen. Wind thrown trees and huge flooding problems coming our way for sure from this tropical like  storm in January. Instability in the  soundings talking some thunder too on Tuesday night The water content in tonight's storm event of 6 inches of snow has to be at least one inch or more. Add that to the potential of 2-3+ inches of expected rain and we have record flooding. 

1 minute ago, Albedoman said:

we had 5-8 in here in the Lehigh valley in most places. All I can say is that if you try to shovel this stuff, it is super wet. My snow thrower was having troubling handling it. I see many having heart issues if they try to shovel this stuff in the morning. Its like shoveling pure slush. The snow  ratio had to be less than 6:1. I have not seen this wet of a snow in five years here. The flakes were pancakes coming down for a few hours. 

Oh how I dread Tuesday night as the soils are now super saturated and not frozen. Wind thrown trees and huge flooding problems coming our way for sure from this tropical like  storm in January. Instability in the  soundings talking some thunder too on Tuesday night The water content in tonight's storm event of 6 inches of snow has to be at least one inch or more. Add that to the potential of 2-3+ inches of expected rain and we have record flooding. 

agreed on all...  if you get a water equiv...send it to NWS

Just now, RU848789 said:

Central Park with only 0.2"?  Does anyone on this board live anywhere near there to verify that?  Thought I saw reports of it snowing there much of the day and people seeing some accumulation.  I get the UHI, but that's crazy.  

I live in lower Manhattan and that sounds about right. Nothing accumulated except on grassy surfaces, cars weren't even getting snow.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

@MaureenPicked up 0.5-1.0" of snow for the day. Total precipitation 0.79" Current temp 36

Surprised you didn't get something like our 2" in Metuchen, although I recall seeing the radar indicating it changed to rain to my east earlier than here.  Could being ~8 miles ENE and an earlier changeover and a little elevation (my house is at 110') make that difference?  

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic