• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

Ugh, wish I was at home. Stations around me are 32-33 so what’s falling is sticking even if slowly. 37 in Long Beach and rain. 

I can confirm it’s sticking in north Syosset area. Don’t know the temp. But have close to an inch. It’s been snowing for about three hours. No mix.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Yes. I figured we would be in heavy snow right now. But no? Temp is right in the wheelhouse when we get are best snows here, which over 31 years here, seems to be 22-28°. Give or take a degree or 2 either side 

Was expecting 8-10 here by every short and medium d range model and I think right now 5 might be difficult. 

56 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Been snowing moderately for the last hour at 33F and we only got another 1/4", which I think means we had some compaction as the snow is fairly wet, so we're up to 1.75" right now and my 2" prediction looks very doable.  

So, as of 7:00 pm we had officially changed to rain and the temp was up to 34F and my last measurement was 2.0" on the nose, which was my exact guesstimate for the storm (even broken clocks, lol).  The last hour or two the snow was quite wet, but at least it stayed snow. 

The interesting thing was that I went out for a quick spin around 6:35 pm to see the roads and pick up takeout (Portuguese BBQ, yum) and the residential streets in Metuchen were all fully snow covered and treacherous, while the county/state type roads (531/501 and 27) were partially covered/slushy and somewhat slick, and the major roads like 1 and 287 were just wet.  Many local reports in the area of accidents, as I'm guessing people maybe forgot how to drive in the snow.  Also, around 6:50 pm I noticed it started sounding like rain on my windshield even though it was still snowing and 10 minutes later it was all rain.  Oh well.  But I'm ecstatic we even got 2" when so many, including the NWS, were predicting little to no snow for the 95 corridor, including in our area.  Hope there's some left tomorrow (I think there will be).  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

If only the temp was below freezing here. Hate looking at wet pavements. 

Happy you saw some flakes man, it’s been a torrent of rain down here.

My wife is on the phone with her parents in Milltown and they have a decent amount considering. Wasn’t expecting anything really for them or we could’ve gone up for dinner!

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

So, as of 7:00 pm we had officially changed to rain and the temp was up to 34F and my last measurement was 2.0" on the nose, which was my exact guesstimate for the storm (even broken clocks, lol).  The last hour or two the snow was quite wet, but at least it stayed snow. 

The interesting thing was that I went out for a quick spin around 6:35 pm to see the roads and pick up takeout (Portuguese BBQ, yum) and the residential streets in Metuchen were all fully snow covered and treacherous, while the county/state type roads (531/501 and 27) were partially covered/slushy and somewhat slick, and the major roads like 1 and 287 were just wet.  Many local reports in the area of accidents, as I'm guessing people maybe forgot how to drive in the snow.  Also, around 6:50 pm I noticed it started sounding like rain on my windshield even though it was still snowing and 10 minutes later it was all rain.  Oh well.  But I'm ecstatic we even got 2" when so many, including the NWS, were predicting little to no snow for the 95 corridor, including in our area.  Hope there's some left tomorrow (I think there will be).  

Road treatments make a big difference. Suspect Metuchen was saving money? or no people to run the trucks or their policy? I know county DPW's and their subcontractors get onto this stuff pretty quick. That's the way your report sounded. State and County on it. 

2 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

roads are dog water here in rockland, can see 287 from my house and traffic is moving pretty slow. 

Atrocious. That brine does jack shit. The main roads are snow covered, side roads are even worse.

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic