Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

...A place to donate your used solar eclipse glasses:

Astronomers Without Borders has been sending solar glasses for annular and total solar eclipse since 2008. From Africa, Asia, North and South America, our members, partners and National Coordinators helped to bring glasses to people who may not otherwise have a safe way to view the eclipse directly. Travellers from the United States graciously volunteered to bring them in their luggage and hand them out to local educators and organizers of public viewing events. 

https://astronomerswithoutborders.org/home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, alex said:

We saw that too while it was happening and were wondering what it was. So cool. 

Took me 3 hours to get back from First Connecticut Lake but well worth it

T

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Love that lower left flare has been visible in photos no matter where they’ve been taken in totality.

That "little" flare is a solar prominence.  To put the size in perspective here is the size of the earth as compared.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 092521.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I went to the shore of Mooselookmeguntic Lake and got cooked .. haha!   It was a great time obviously with a smaller crowd than the usual places.  One shot of the diamond ring and the other a wide angle which I haven't edited yet.   Might add the various phases of the eclipse to it.  Epic traffic on the way home - took me about 4.5 hours for a normally 2.5 hour drive

20240408 - Eclipse-1  AmWx.jpg

20240408 - Eclipse-3 AmWx.jpg

Awesome stuff. I decided on Island Falls (random I know lol) and we were on the road very shortly after totality. There was some congestion but I got to Portland with very few delays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

T

That "little" flare is a solar prominence.  To put the size in perspective here is the size of the earth as compared.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 092521.jpg

I've always wondered if these colors are real, or the colors we see with our eyes and with cameras are real.

In pictures it always looks pink and the sun is yellowish.  Here, everything looks red.

at the recommendation of @tamarack climbed Little Bigelow Mountain which looks south and west towards Sugarloaf and the Crockers. Excellent choice and thank you so much. There was something like 3 dozen people up there with my party of six including two guys from Franklin county search and rescue who stayed up and were going to do a sweep after everyone had gone down. They also packed out the trail on Sunday which was pretty awesome. We got up about an hour before totality and everyone was in a festive mood - families, some students, a large crew from Ashbury Park NJ??? Watching the darkness move across the valley floor towards us was pretty spectacular. The winds really increased substantially and it got very cool. Just an awesome experience. Traffic getting through Madison and Norridgewock was hilarious - to experience a one mile backup in those towns is a once in a lifetime experience too! Route 16/27 and the area around Sugarloaf access road was all time from what I have been told. Without and with light!

image.thumb.png.a941dceb200fc1225bd8b736ad2e687a.png

image.thumb.png.61a279393a773f979a9dd0ea71d544f3.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Awesome stuff. I decided on Island Falls (random I know lol) and we were on the road very shortly after totality. There was some congestion but I got to Portland with very few delays. 

Not so random - I know a guy who went there!   Craig Shaknis.  tbh, I don't even know where it is .. lol!

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My coworker said there’s still traffic coming back from northern Vermont.

Yeah. I just got in. Took about 5 hours from Middlebury. My friend said it took 11 hours from Burlington to CT yesterday. Was crazy seeing all the out of state license plates. Tons of people from CA, Oregon, Washington, etc. 

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I've always wondered if these colors are real, or the colors we see with our eyes and with cameras are real.

In pictures it always looks pink and the sun is yellowish.  Here, everything looks red.

To get photos like the above you need to use a complex filter setup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen-alpha#Filter This is going to sound trite, but if you want to know what the sun really looks like, step outside and look at it.

• Like 1

Left Thornton once I saw things were starting to slow down going through Franconia notch. My plan was to take the Kanc west from exit 32, which added 15 minutes, but avoided all traffic. Decided on Burke and I think it was a better plan than Jay, or Pittsburg, NH. I can honestly say it was a more incredible experience than expected, and that tends to be the general experience of those who were fortunate enough to experience totality. Google maps was useless. I took as many back roads as I could including dirt, and it still took me 4 1/2 hours to get back to my cabin. My buddy that went to Pittsburg didn't get back until 3AM! 

The most interesting thing happened a fraction of a second before totality. There was a flash of light going from what appeared to be from northwest to southeast. Almost like when an airplane shadow passes over you, except the opposite. I'm still trying to get video of it. 

Video from my drone at about 3000' as totality approaches: 

• Like 5

My parents drove to Danville, VT to a brewery I found online. I told them to leave right after totality and they managed to hit no traffic at all coming down 91. Made it back to New Haven in like 4 hours.

In Dallas there was no traffic either… seems like everyone who worked downtown stayed home. No rush hour and just the coolest of vibes. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Well that was cool. Also saw some weird light wave effect happening on the snow in the field just before and after totality. Can’t post videos or else I’d share.

I noticed that too, a fraction of a second before totality. My brother and I simultaneously yelled out "what the f... was that?" The only thing I can think of was maybe some impact from whatever miniscule moon atmosphere refraction of sorts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

My parents drove to Danville, VT to a brewery I found online. I told them to leave right after totality and they managed to hit no traffic at all coming down 91. Made it back to New Haven in like 4 hours.

In Dallas there was no traffic either… seems like everyone who worked downtown stayed home. No rush hour and just the coolest of vibes. 

That's crazy I left Newport pretty quick and still hit a ton.. we probably had one of the best spots for a quick getaway and still was crap lol 

• Like 2

How cool, it seems a bunch of us here were at Newport, Prouty Beach!

5.5 hrs driving up (7:30a-1p), non-stop

8.5 hrs driving back non-stop (and not including ~1 hours just to get out of Newport)... I-91 was 5-10mph for 100+ miles, we did some backroads to I-93 and they were intermittently bumper to bumper as well... pretty remarkable at 12:30am Monday night to see stopped traffic on I-93

And I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Such a stunning celestial feat + pristine weather + in our own backyard... not again in our lifetime.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

How cool, it seems a bunch of us here were at Newport, Prouty Beach!

5.5 hrs driving up (7:30a-1p), non-stop

8.5 hrs driving back non-stop (and not including ~1 hours just to get out of Newport)... I-91 was 5-10mph for 100+ miles, we did some backroads to I-93 and they were intermittently bumper to bumper as well... pretty remarkable at 12:30am Monday night to see stopped traffic on I-93

And I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Such a stunning celestial feat + pristine weather + in our own backyard... not again in our lifetime.

Unless you're alive in 2079.  

Some comparisons to 2017 observed in Gallatin Tennessee:

- seemed larger to me, not sure if the moon was closer to us this time

- much more noticeable temp drop in 10 minutes before, I'm estimating 62F to 50F with noticeable breeze

- red solar prominence at 7 o'clock, so cool that everyone saw that

- "shadow snakes" on snow piles, only happened minutes before and after totality

For better or worse, did not even try to photo the eclipse... wanted no distractions from taking it all in during totality so only a set-it-and-forget-it video.

That's me pointing up in the center:

image.png.faa755ccd81a7765a4b0687d74b9c941.png

Photo from my brother who flew to Cleveland:

image.thumb.png.0439608493b088e5c1324c93bd286a43.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...I only spoke to a couple people who didn't bother with viewing the eclipse due to, "what's the big deal", and "who cares, it's just the moon passing by the sun, it happens".  I guess I don't understand or connect with this kind of mentality.  Is it just me or is it too geek to be pumped up about, and enjoy something like this on high euphoric levels? 

I don't think I'm in the minority when I say, these events are WELL worth viewing if you can, and this eclipse was so much better than 2017 for obvious reasons.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Some comparisons to 2017 observed in Gallatin Tennessee:

- seemed larger to me, not sure if the moon was closer to us this time

- much more noticeable temp drop in 10 minutes before, I'm estimating 62F to 50F with noticeable breeze

- red solar prominence at 7 o'clock, so cool that everyone saw that

- "shadow snakes" on snow piles, only happened minutes before and after totality

For better or worse, did not even try to photo the eclipse... wanted no distractions from taking it all in during totality so only a set-it-and-forget-it video.

That's me pointing up in the center:

image.png.faa755ccd81a7765a4b0687d74b9c941.png

Photo from my brother who flew to Cleveland:

image.thumb.png.0439608493b088e5c1324c93bd286a43.png

I love the urban shots just as much as the woods/ mountain/ lake shots.

12 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

...I only spoke to a couple people who didn't bother with viewing the eclipse due to, "what's the big deal", and "who cares, it's just the moon passing by the sun, it happens".  I guess I don't understand or connect with this kind of mentality.  Is it just me or is it too geek to be pumped up about, and enjoy something like this on high euphoric levels? 

I don't think I'm in the minority when I say, these events are WELL worth viewing if you can, and this eclipse was so much better than 2017 for obvious reasons.  

We've been talking about it a lot today (obviously) but for me it was this cool vibe that nothing else in the world seemed to matter yesterday.  Politics, money, worries, how much you hate your neighbor, etc... the entire lead up throughout the day was this universal knowledge that something wild was about to happen and the anticipation of it.

Then when it happened, to have every single person and humanity as a larger collective just get their mind-blown, led to this feeling of togetherness that we don't often get these days.  Everyone is so divided on every topic but this was one thing that humanity agreed upon for a day.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, I really did not understand the profound awesomeness of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've been talking about it a lot today (obviously) but for me it was this cool vibe that nothing else in the world seemed to matter yesterday.  Politics, money, worries, how much you hate your neighbor, etc... the entire lead up throughout the day was this universal knowledge that something wild was about to happen and the anticipation of it.

Then when it happened, to have every single person and humanity as a larger collective just get their mind-blown, led to this feeling of togetherness that we don't often get these days.  Everyone is so divided on every topic but this was one thing that humanity agreed upon for a day.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, I really did not understand the profound awesomeness of it.

A few articles out there which discussed how this brought a divided country together....

• Like 1