Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS also much colder for the 10th. Great for NNE especially.

It was ... and the 500 mb is significantly colder in g-pot hgts as the wave space compresses through PA than prior runs.  ... I mean this thing is still 8 days out -

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was ... and the 500 mb is significantly colder in g-pot hgts as the wave space compresses through PA than prior runs.  ... I mean this thing is still 8 days out -

Same with GEPS. Almost a legit SWFE even here.

Edit that was the op. 

Thinking about making an unscheduled ski trip Monday to Thursday with the son before back to school so I am all over this. Thinking Okemo area to minimize the drive. Don't want to do 4.5 or 5 hours to get to Jay before getting in the car for the ride back to school.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

nice block, ear-popper 1070mb high over Greenland

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_42.png

yeah... it looks like the -NAO is trying to exert a weee bit earlier than prior depictions.  This being 8 days out - obviously goes without saying, a wholesale correction east with that OV trough becomes more penetrative.  The whole thing could change into something else.  

The NAO is a masterful headache inducer.  It's seldom correctly handled even at D8.  For that matter, it could just up and evolve into an eastern limb expression... sending things to Manitoba.   But present trends are the other way so - all possibilities about the flow east of Chi-town are still in the playoff hunt re Jan 10/11

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cut said:

Thinking about making an unscheduled ski trip Monday to Thursday with the son before back to school so I am all over this. Thinking Okemo area to minimize the drive. Don't want to do 4.5 or 5 hours to get to Jay before getting in the car for the ride back to school.

Would recommend Okemo over Jay right now..Jay looks a little far north for the good stuff this weekend and will need at least a foot to get going the way it should be.  Trails are limited right now.  Okemo has done a great job blowing trails open and might cash in a little better in the next 7 days.  Might be the top choice for a bit.  Jay will be great again 10-14 from now if this pattern holds IMO.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

nice block, ear-popper 1070mb high over Greenland

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_42.png

This is a pattern I love.  -PNA spitting out shortwave energy, tries to drive it north but the block locks in the cold and its Miller B time (if I'm understanding this correctly.  And not too much suppression give the position of the Greenland Block and 50-50.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

La Niña pattern. Looks like 07-08 or 08-09 on some of these progs with that gradient. 

Just looking for a bit of clarification as to your thinking... I might be completely wrong (good chance), and assume you are talking about the entire NA upper level construct having a La Nina vibe.  But in terms of storm tracks, isn't this system's snow / rain layout pretty typical of El Nino winters?   I've always thought El Nino winters favored some big interior Mid Atlantic / SNE events with the typical coastal plain precip type issues.  The Pacific sst anomaly is clearly in El Nino mode but there appears to be a disconnect with some of the more typical El Nino atmospheric features / indexes?  But in terms of East Coast action this kind of fits the mode... Am I wrong about that??? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Just looking for a bit of clarification as to your thinking... I might be completely wrong (good chance), and assume you are talking about the entire NA upper level construct having a La Nina vibe.  But in terms of storm tracks, isn't this system's snow / rain layout pretty typical of El Nino winters?   I've always thought El Nino winters favored some big interior Mid Atlantic / SNE events with the typical coastal plain precip type issues.  The Pacific sst anomaly is clearly in El Nino mode but there appears to be a disconnect with some of the more typical El Nino atmospheric features / indexes?  But in terms of East Coast action this kind of fits the mode... Am I wrong about that??? 

This current 1/7 storm def is more of an El Niño flavor…I was more referring to the pattern that follows. Very La Niña as we start building SE ridge and western trough. Hopefully blocking is good enough to keep us on the cold side most of the time. 

That said, Euro doesn’t want to cooperate much with the 1:10 threat. Not nearly as CADish and cold as the other 12z guidance. We’ll see what EPS says in a bit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Don't think you could get a worse run on the 10th then the 12z Euro has, Glad its still 8 days away.

Hopefully it’s out to lunch vs other guidance. That’s a huge difference. Some guidance gives warning criteria snow for just about all of CNE/NNE (and even close in parts of SNE) while Euro is not much at all and prolonged mild rains. 

It's interesting how last winter, I think it was January too, we were in La Nina state but we had that period where the pattern was very EL Nino like. Now we're in EL Nino moving into January and we have a La Nina like pattern. Certainly not seeing the ocean/atmosphere couple, or struggling to do so. This I think was hinted extremely well by the MEI. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hopefully it’s out to lunch vs other guidance. That’s a huge difference. Some guidance gives warning criteria snow for just about all of CNE/NNE (and even close in parts of SNE) while Euro is not much at all and prolonged mild rains. 

It was vastly different that other guidance wrt to the entire NAO domain handling...

Such a wholesale (hemi) continuity disruption is a bit dubious. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

SFC low over KART vs KBAX. It's only 350 miles.

2 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

Already heard of 50s next week....good grief. At least we should all or mostly all have some nice scenery for a day or two.

ehhh I wouldn't put too much stock into that just yet. That is highly dependent on the mid-week storm. I would not be too surprised if we saw that get shunted south and east a bit and we don't really warm sector at all.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This current 1/7 storm def is more of an El Niño flavor…I was more referring to the pattern that follows. Very La Niña as we start building SE ridge and western trough. Hopefully blocking is good enough to keep us on the cold side most of the time. 

That said, Euro doesn’t want to cooperate much with the 1:10 threat. Not nearly as CADish and cold as the other 12z guidance. We’ll see what EPS says in a bit. 

this gives me Jan 2011 / Feb 2021 vibes. very impressive blocking

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-5233600.thumb.png.c633d60234542a2b96af88c18b2d1352.png

56 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Don't think you could get a worse run on the 10th then the 12z Euro has, Glad its still 8 days away.

we really need one or both of these events to materialize up here to get the season rolling. At this rate, it's easily 3rd week of Jan, perhaps early Feb before any riding.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-5233600.thumb.png.c633d60234542a2b96af88c18b2d1352.png

It's difficult to believe there would not be blockbuster potential within that pattern. I'd be nervous for suppression, but taking the IMBY perspective out of it, that screams blockbuster potential. Could be here or could be towards the mid-Atlantic. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Agreed. Just need it to verify now. Lol. GEFS was a little less ideal but still decent….hopefully EPS are more correct. 

• Like 1