Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

21 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I have plenty to discuss, including some quite mild wx leading up to Christmas.  What I was saying is, that THEY may not have much to discuss.  Also, the cries of "trolling" over any little thing, real or imagined becomes tedious tbh.

Pains me to do this but... I agree.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m cheering on a mild, snowless winter, but I don’t want to “rain” on anyone’s parade in here. Maybe we need a separate warmth cheerleading thread.

For nothing else a neat experiment.  

Here's a prediction ...  that thread will be crickets.  One or two posts for a week or two and then it won't get much traction. 

Those that engage in the attempted subversive contrarian content are trying to get "trolling" across without it actually being worded that way - and if they don't have a target, they're not going to be interested in the attempt.  

I think the solution is simple... you have a block option.   The other solution is adult the situation and don't read/and/or ignore them by personal volition.   It takes two for trolling, whether on purpose or by mistake, to actually work .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

mods soon locking out the torch/angle crew?  it's wild, never imagined it

Nah... you're not the victim there.    

I'm not saying your content is intended for trolling one way or the other - no opinion.

It is, unfortunately, an obvious aversion to others. That is the point. There's want and need for a minimal harmony amongst the engagement.   

Create your own thread.  Give it a title ...I don't know, like, "Why there will never be a cold snowy period" - those that venture in do so at own risk. 

• Like 4

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not saying your content is intended for trolling one way or the other - no opinion.

It is, unfortunately, an obvious aversion to others. That is the point. There's want and need for a minimal harmony amongst the engagement.   

Create your own thread.  Give it a title ...I don't know, like, "Why there will never be a cold snowy period" - those that venture in do so at own risk. 

This is a fabulous idea.  But that won’t ever happen, because they aren’t doing any of it in good faith. And there’d be 3-4 people there, and nobody to troll.  

But the idea is a very good one Tip. 

There is a strong fetish to see major blizzard's modeled 10+ days out and if models don't show that it's winter cancel. How many of our big snowstorms really didn't come into the picture until like 4-5 days out? I know Will made a post a while back that models have certainly gotten better and to the point where we can give D10 threats some credibility but so many storms really aren't catching eyes until 4-5 days.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m cheering on a mild, snowless winter, but I don’t want to “rain” on anyone’s parade in here. Maybe we need a separate warmth cheerleading thread.

I just like interesting events.  I don't care if snows or not, frankly.   I really don't.   If it rains, one of those only stop signs sticking out down town events would be preferred.  hahaha. 

If it's mild, I have stuff outdoorsy that I get to keep on with. 

I am "a little" ( admittedly) concerned that CC is accelerating and making the probability for extended periods of banal weather types go up. Because that kind of palpable change ...prooobably doesn't end well for humanity if it's that apparent.  But it's funny ... a discussion seed dropped about CC seems to be worse to a lot of people than the other stuff.  Oh well - but see?  there is a climate sub-forum.. I don't really bring climate up in here that often, for that reason and record. I may drop a blurb rarely if it is already in play.  I do place my content in the sub-forum over there pretty frequently though.

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Are you saying to shut em down?

No, I’m saying for folks to choose to use the ignore button.  That way they have no recourse.   Let’s be real, it’s a select few, that as was said, are not posting in good faith.  

When these people keep saying no change, that’s just plain ingenious.  And that’s all there is to it.  So I choose to ignore them now.  

Was just waiting to pick cans at Treehouse and overheard a few people talking and the comment was “ looks like we’”re skipping winter this year.. the other guy says “ yup I don’t know what’s going on but it used to snow and then days he hasn’t had to put his dog in a sweater . I moved away from them 

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Another big screamer  modeled early next week on the 12z guidance. I thought that one might have a chance tread colder but apparently not. 

Well… To be fair “trend” requires more than a single run or two to be established, or determined to be the case.

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Another big screamer  modeled early next week on the 12z guidance. I thought that one might have a chance tread colder but apparently not. 

you mean this one? Might as well lock it in. Last two storms were modeled 7-9 days out and verified. Not saying it will, but we're on a roll....

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

mods soon locking out the torch/angle crew?  it's wild, never imagined it

38 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

No, I’m saying for folks to choose to use the ignore button.  That way they have no recourse.   Let’s be real, it’s a select few, that as was said, are not posting in good faith.  

When these people keep saying no change, that’s just plain ingenious.  And that’s all there is to it.  So I choose to ignore them now.  

You know Wolfie, I actually was replying to torch tigers comment before and I decided to delete it. This is what they want. He wants to go back and forth with them because they know that their comments are bothering us. More than anything. I think it's just rude and childish, but we can't change that. The best bet is to just not reply to them at all with anything. The more we don't reply to any of their comments, the more I think they're realized that no one wants to hear. Onward and upward man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think what gets people rattled with a certain group of people when it comes to trolling here is that they start posting when the pattern looks warm and snowless. But as soon as it does snow and the pattern is actually decent for winter weather, they disappear with absolutely nothing to add. But then as soon as the snow starts melting and the warmth is inevitable, they pop up from the snow banks and start poking the hornets nest again. To each their own, doesn't bother me, I just keep scrolling along...

As far as those forecasting based on persistence rather than pattern recognition. It really is amazing how since last year, especially down here in SNE you could forecast based on the least snowy model forecast and almost always be correct, regardless of the pattern or the month. And here we go again so far this year, same thing.....hopefully we can finally break this dreadful, snowless funk we are in come January. But even myself who tends to be more optimistic, is in the believe it when I see it state of mind...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I think what gets people rattled with a certain group of people when it comes to trolling here is that they start posting when the pattern looks warm and snowless. But as soon as it does snow and the pattern is actually decent for winter weather, they disappear with absolutely nothing to add. But then as soon as the snow starts melting and the warmth is inevitable, they pop up from the snow banks and start poking the hornets nest again. To each their own, doesn't bother me, I just keep scrolling along...

As far as those forecasting based on persistence rather than pattern recognition. It really is amazing how since last year, especially down here in SNE you could forecast based on the least snowy model forecast and almost always be correct, regardless of the pattern or the month. And here we go again so far this year, same thing.....hopefully we can finally break this dreadful, snowless funk we are in come January. But even myself who tends to be more optimistic, is in the believe it when I see it state of mind...

'To each their own, doesn't bother me, I just keep scrolling along..."

Ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Most guidance is suggesting after the new year before anything worth watching may materialize.

The most you can take away from this stretch is that we aren't getting a raging s'easter on Christmas Eve or Day. Other than that, dog shit until possibly around new years. I'm at 2" so technically near or above snow climo, but it's always a bummer when we can't sniff a stray flurry between December 20-31. 

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s looked about the same for days now minus a few runs that started to tend colder.

You think it's time to cancel winter? Because the sun angles getting higher and we're now almost done with December. I guess it makes sense that winter's a wash now and it's time to shut the blinds until spring ( I figured I'd beat you to the punch before you said it ). 

Tip is absolutely correct that if the posters who always post about warmth and no snow started their own thread, it would get almost no engagement. That’s how we know it’s trolling in here even if they claim otherwise. There’s a definite purpose to it to get responses from easily-baited snow lovers. 

Its a very easily tested theory…one of them should start a parallel thread for it. 

As for the LR, I don’t feel any differently than I did the last few days other than the longshot on 12/28 looks like an even longer shot today. But who knows, maybe it trends colder again tomorrow…either way, it doesn’t change the way it looks beyond that. Better pattern by month-end even if it’s not brutally cold. We probably get a bit more cold into our region in the first half of January as the ridge pops more poleward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

you mean this one? Might as well lock it in. Last two storms were modeled 7-9 days out and verified. Not saying it will, but we're on a roll....

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

kinda thinking with that much high pressure in central and eastern Canada, that transfers earlier and this would trend colder.  Miller B CNE NNE snowstorm.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1