Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It could be worse though, much worse.

This was 12/27/2015.

IMG_7126.jpeg.3733d24314cb5e166014e1d848d57e47.jpeg

At least all trails are white and the mountain passes for winter.

IMG_7127.thumb.jpeg.7a9ef713e754e97ff04492f065ba2cba.jpeg

Everything is based off 2015-16, just 8 years ago.  Its rough, but no where near the worst in even the past 10 years.

IMG_7128.thumb.jpeg.1e7fe57f3f5f62551ba1654d0848a9df.jpeg 

Only thing is 2015 was the worst in 128 years.

Still pouring outside. Absolute soaker once again with 2.75" and counting from this event. Over a foot (of MF'n rain) month to date. I'm up to 76.75"+ on the year. Certainly the wettest on record at my place.

Heading to our VT place at 2300' with the family this morning... we'll enjoy the mud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuildingScienceWx said:

Still pouring outside. Absolute soaker once again with 2.75" and counting from this event. Over a foot (of MF'n rain) month to date. I'm up to 76.75"+ on the year. Certainly the wettest on record at my place.

Heading to our VT place at 2300' with the family this morning... we'll enjoy the mud.

This year has been obscenely wet down here. Let’s hope we can get some decent cold into the mix going forward—big ask I know. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, NittanyWx said:

Ongoing source region issue, and will continue to be an issue in early Jan. 

Source region remains an inhibitor to anything other than transient early January cool shots surrounded by warmth.  Keeping a side eye on the Jan 5-7 window in the event this low amps a bit more, but outside of that 'know your source' remains quite prudent.

Looking bigger picture, seeing signs of the erosion of Pac air upstream into W Canada deeper into Jan.  Should be less hostile then.

But as far as this early Jan period goes, the book was written early.  A modest h5 improvement, but lack of source air first week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Closing in on 70” fir the year .

Almost 10” of rain in December. All liquid. Hard to even fathom that’s possible.. yet we lived it.

bp5rVg0.png

Close to 75" here, much of that since June 1st.  That's basically 2 years of rain.

Fortunately most of today's precipitation is South and East of here.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still fresh in the mind though so doesn’t feel that bad.  I mean we did have a great 3-4 week run though.  Had snow cover at home for like a month, we’ve had worst.  It’s just not good right now.

Sucks. Things should start turning around for you guys starting Saturday. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I am surprised too that we only had a few scattered tiny flurries one day this month...if you blinked you missed them . Couldn't even muster residual lake effect flakes on a blustery west wind.

There were hardly any airmasses that warranted good LES. Only that early December shot seemed to do it. 

• Like 1

It's still raining here.  I'm up to 7.18" of rain on the month and it's still raining with more rain expected over the next 24-48 hours. 

If I look back next December and see 7" on the board I'm likely to think "Not bad, at least we got about a half foot of snow"...