Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What’s not fake is pulling into a parking lot and zero snow on any vehicle… but there’s that one car with snow on it.  This guy looks like he came from like 1500ft+.

5F58700A-1C4E-4C3B-A0F0-EC49BCAF557D.jpeg.548fb4a01cdee3a2aea7e430f10ea67a.jpeg

That happens around here a lot when we have one of those iffy storms where it's 33 and changes to rain here. The next day cars from the Brookfields will drive through town with 4 inches of snow on them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Yup. Beautiful day to honor all the Veterans out there.

Screenshot_20231111_165434_Gallery.jpg

@weatherwiz

3 years ago the same veterans party got hit by this in Branford. 9 tornadoes in the OKX forecast area that day..

Summary
A narrow tornado path of 25 yard width began near Pine Orchard and Oak Hollow Roads and continued northeast with uprooted hardwood trees showing evidence of a convergent damage pattern. The damage path widened to 300 yards at the Francis Walsh Intermediate School field where several light tower generators were all toppled by straight line winds while the eastern 100 yards of this area along Sunset Hill Drive continued to show a convergent damage pattern. The tornado continued on toward the top of Whiting Hill Road where the path narrowed to about 75 yards and the most intense damage occurred where some pine trees in a loop at the top of the road were snapped in two. The damage path continued northeast to Gould Rd where the tornado apparently lifted just before reaching the Governor John Davis lodge turnpike.

Estimated Time: 3:44 pm to 3:46 pm                                                                                   Maximum Rating: EF-0                                                                                                                 Estimated Maximum Wind Speed: 85 mph                                                                               Maximum Path Width: 300 yards                                                                                                   Path Length: 1.94 miles

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/28caafb628624aeaa344c4ec06badcfd

I post this 384 map as an academic exercise only....note the 1042 HP at the surface over Greenland, with very low heights.  Normally, I would expect to see elevated heights with a 1042 high.  Can a pro educate me....how can the atmosphere be so heavy and yet so cold aloft?

And for more fun, check out the 2m temps under that high.  "Real cold".

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_65.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

I post this 384 map as an academic exercise only....note the 1042 HP at the surface over Greenland, with very low heights.  Normally, I would expect to see elevated heights with a 1042 high.  Can a pro educate me....how can the atmosphere be so heavy and yet so cold aloft?

And for more fun, check out the 2m temps under that high.  "Real cold".

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_65.png

That high pressure over Greenland is a semi permanent climate feature, particularly at this time of year and through the winter. It’s there because of intense cooling over the entire span of the ice cap. It produces an intense cold air inversion with cold density  building - this also induces downward vertical motion over top as well because of divergence in the cold layer which also feeds back and raising surface pressure some

• Like 1