• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

Anyone following the story of the missing (unaccounted for) 14 million dollars in the Brockton school budget , now they are going to look at the 50 Million in Covid funds that was spent and find a paper trail for that . Seems like 7 members of the school board have to sign off to varying degrees on expenses . The mayor said there was a going to be a large upheaval in “school district leadership“. Looks slimy , audit incoming but my guess is there has to be many involved or very incompetent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anyone following the story of the missing (unaccounted for) 14 million dollars in the Brockton school budget , now they are going to look at the 50 Million in Covid funds that was spent and find a paper trail for that . Seems like 7 members of the school board have to sign off to varying degrees on expenses . The mayor said there was a going to be a large upheaval in “school district leadership“. Looks slimy , audit incoming but my guess is there has to be many involved or very incompetent.

The Super also went out on mysterious medical leave only to come out and make a statement.

Pretty rough look for a district that had to lay off over 100 staff due to budget cuts before the 14 million even went missing 

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The Super also went out on mysterious medical leave only to come out and make a statement.

Pretty rough look for a district that had to lay off over 100 staff due to budget cuts before the 14 million even went missing 

Those closed door school board Meetings must be good . Probably a few trying to save their butts , while the rest try to figure out what happened 

23 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

My wife and I can't decide where to take our 4 kids the last week of September. There are tons of Airbnb options from the Cape cod area to cabins on a lake. We typically travel late Spring/early summer, but we have some time now late September. Any thoughts from the locals?

Thanks!

Far from being a local, but I would think that by late Sept, Cape Cod Bay would be warmer than most inland lakes in New England.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Woah….  No kidding. Yikes

10 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

My wife and I can't decide where to take our 4 kids the last week of September. There are tons of Airbnb options from the Cape cod area to cabins on a lake. We typically travel late Spring/early summer, but we have some time now late September. Any thoughts from the locals?

Thanks!

Are you trying to get in the water (ocean /lake)

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

@dendriteI’m watching a short doc about an apple orchard in Woodstock, VT. They are showing all the care they do with the trees throughout the year. They just showed the grafting process. Have you ever done any grafting with your trees?

I did these last spring. Antonovka rootstock.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mreaves said:

Nice. This is how this orchard grafts. I didn’t realize it could be done on such a large limb. 

IMG_3700.webp

Those are bark grafts. You slip the bark when the sap gets flowing, cut a wedge into your scion, and then slide it in and make sure you have good cambium contact. Usually they graft 2 or 3 pieces on and keep the most vigorous one, but maybe they’re going for something different there? All of the apple and pear grafts I’ve done are whip and tongue on single rootstocks. 

There’s lots of different ways to graft, but in most cases you want the sap flowing in your rootstock and then you graft a dormant scion onto that. That way the rootstock is ready to go and pushes the growth through the scion wood.

I field grafted a few pawpaws this year, but they’re a little finicky. They prefer consistent temps around 80° to graft and callous off whereas apples are early spring. Middle pic is actually a cleft graft since it was a little too low to get a good whip and tongue on there.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Are you trying to get in the water (ocean /lake)

More like fishing/kayaking....I would probably take my wetsuit and ride a few waves, but not sure the kids would spend much time in the water whether it was a lake or the ocean.

We have always done beach trips, Delaware to Hatteras so we always had warmer water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

More like fishing/kayaking....I would probably take my wetsuit and ride a few waves, but not sure the kids would spend much time in the water whether it was a lake or the ocean.

We have always done beach trips, Delaware to Hatteras so we always had warmer water.

The Cape has a ton of beautiful kettle ponds as well, with the nice sandy bottom. Good spot for both fresh and salt water fishing, or swimming.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1