Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why does that start in Oct? Why not Jan-Dec? What is that number?

The official water year runs October 1st to September 30.  It's the officially recognized dates for tracking yearly water totals.  USDA, USGS, and most folks use it for planning purposes, reservoirs, and agriculture.  The warm season ends the water year, "calendar" flips as vegetation starts to go dormant.

CoCoRAHS has this:

While the definition may vary regionally, a common definition of "water year" is October 1 through September 30th. In the cool months, evaporation rates are very low, snow accumulates in cold regions, storms tend to be widespread, and most areas see accumulation of moisture in the soil. Then comes spring with it's accompanying snow melt and high runoff from mountainous regions and higher latitudes. The summer months bring high evaporation rates. Precipitation (much from thunderstorms) becomes much more localized. Soil moisture may be gradually depleted during summer as vegetation uses large volumes of water. Streams run slower and clearer.

https://www.cocorahs.org/wateryearsummary/

• Like 5

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oh we pray

Your prayers are answered.

Nino will not warm you this winter but it will bring above avg moisture.

All your ski resorts will be jumping for joy. The lowlands will, too.

This is going to be a winter to remember, all up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

I am pulling for everyone back East to get buried ALIVE by snow this winter. There are a ton of meteorological forcings in play! Get ready, this is gonna be a very enjoyable ride!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:33 PM, Jebman said:

Your prayers are answered.

Nino will not warm you this winter but it will bring above avg moisture.

All your ski resorts will be jumping for joy. The lowlands will, too.

This is going to be a winter to remember, all up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

I am pulling for everyone back East to get buried ALIVE by snow this winter. There are a ton of meteorological forcings in play! Get ready, this is gonna be a very enjoyable ride!

Already got mine ready to go.

4KGN7_AS02.jpg.33ae7b943ce1d38388939dcd118b1ed4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Got some bad news on our little dog today. She’s been having swelling and drainage from her jaw. Vet thinks it’s a mass, most likely cancer.

Going to treat the infection with a follow up in a week to see if they can get a better look and run some more testing to confirm.

Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst, unfortunately

image.jpeg.d06f88dfed9ab0b83a736e7db3a092f6.jpeg

• Sad 16

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Got some bad news on our little dog today. She’s been having swelling and drainage from her jaw. Vet thinks it’s a mass, most likely cancer.

Going to treat the infection with a follow up in a week to see if they can get a better look and run some more testing to confirm.

Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst, unfortunately

image.jpeg.d06f88dfed9ab0b83a736e7db3a092f6.jpeg

Sorry to hear Brett. I hope it all works out.

31 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Russ Francis died in a plane crash this weekend.  Former Patriot but I remember him beating up on the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX.  https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/report-former-patriot-russ-francis-killed-lake-18400984.php

Always got a kick out of the story about how he tried to throw Phil Villapiano off a plane because of the uncalled holding call in the 1976 (I think)playoff game with the Raiders.  

• Like 1

September stats:

Avg max:   69.5   +1.5      Warmest, 86 on the 7th
Avg min:    50.3   +4.5     Coolest, 35 on the 27th.  Mildest average low of 26 Septembers, also the mildest for the month's lowest.
Mean:        59.9   +3.0     2nd mildest (61.1 in 1999)

Precip:    4.37"    +0.68"   Wettest day, 1.33" on the 19th, with 2.20" 18-19

Edit:  What a disastrous weekend for NE sports fans.  Tim Wakefield dies, long-time Pats TE Russ Francis killed in a plane crash, BB's worst loss as head coach and their 2 best defense players injured.

• Sad 2

Kind of a weird question. I had a pinhole leak in my rear tire (was losing like 8-10 psi every 10 days or so) and I finally took it to have it looked at. It was a tiny piece of metal wire stuck into the tire. They plugged the tiny hole, and sent me on my way.

Is there any reason this won’t last? I know if the whole is bigger, they recommend a plug and patch, but it was tiny.

I drive a ton, and don’t feel like having my tire explode or go flat on the highway lol

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Kind of a weird question. I had a pinhole leak in my rear tire (was losing like 8-10 psi every 10 days or so) and I finally took it to have it looked at. It was a tiny piece of metal wire stuck into the tire. They plugged the tiny hole, and sent me on my way.

Is there any reason this won’t last? I know if the whole is bigger, they recommend a plug and patch, but it was tiny.

I drive a ton, and don’t feel like having my tire explode or go flat on the highway lol

I wouldn't worry about t at all, Never have had an issue with a plug tire repair, That's a pretty small hole, I would have thought they would have to make it larger to plug it, I have a tire plug kit and the applicator to put in the plug is pretty large.

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I wouldn't worry about t at all, Never have had an issue with a plug tire repair, That's a pretty small hole, I would have thought they would have to make it larger to plug it, I have a tire plug kit and the applicator to put in the plug is pretty large.

I should have been more clear, they did have to enlarge it a bit to get the plug situated, but the actual damage to the tire was so minimal in the first place because the hole was so small. The guy actually had trouble finding where it was leaking from.

I called my father and he said when he was growing up, there was no “patch and plug” it was always just a plug and always worked fine if the hole was from a nail or something like that. As long as the tire wasn’t gashed open.

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I should have been more clear, they did have to enlarge it a bit to get the plug situated, but the actual damage to the tire was so minimal in the first place because the hole was so small. The guy actually had trouble finding where it was leaking from.

I called my father and he said when he was growing up, there was no “patch and plug” it was always just a plug and always worked fine if the hole was from a nail or something like that. As long as the tire wasn’t gashed open.

He's right, I never had a patch either, Just a plug with no issues, I wouldn't worry about it, I've never had one fail.

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah you'll be fine. Don't even sweat it.

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had plenty of patch and plugs. All good.

40 minutes ago, dryslot said:

He's right, I never had a patch either, Just a plug with no issues, I wouldn't worry about it, I've never had one fail.

Thanks guys for the reassurance. Sounds like I’m good to go.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I've been driving on a plugged tire for 20,000 miles, it's fine.

• Like 1