• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

With a couple days left in the month, cold air has been lacking in many locations in New England with absolute monthly minima in several locations among the warmest of record. The warmer nights are certainly a blessing for farmers completing their fall harvests.

Burlington, Vermont

image.png.104c7f68d57a49294ad49e99d740a942.png

Mount Washington, New Hampshire

image.png.2c48aa6534e8faad728e7d1d52a084e9.png

Caribou, Maine

image.png.9ad147fb2642a27a859e25642323bb2e.png

Worcester, Massachusetts

image.png.fd12ee6188d08643c8ab41adb1a89b95.png

Some of these locations have observed several Septembers where the monthly mean low temperature was roughly the same as or colder than 2023's absolute coldest night. Most notably, the year of 1963 saw a mean low at Burlington, Vermont of 40.2F, or nearly 5F colder than 2023's coldest of 45F, and also a mean monthly low of 46.9F at Worcester, Massachusetts, a little more than a degree less than 2023's coldest of 48F.

Burlington, Vermont

image.png.2695b44b763e5e2b688ae74f8efc9760.png

Worcester, Massachusetts

image.png.8ce3eccc84b9edb9c3a1003a157032d5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dense fog early, didn't burn off until near 11 AM, still mostly cloudy/smoky.  First 2 weeks of Sept ran 6.6° AN; weeks 3,4 almost exactly normal.  That ended the chance to top 1999's 61.1° as it's at 60.4 currently.  2023 should end very close to 60.0, pushing 2015 (59.7) into 3rd place.  (And I'm not a fan of the winters which followed 9/99 and 9/15.)

4 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

It’s interesting that NNE is going to be so far above normal. NYC is about to record its 3rd below normal month in the last four.

We've been getting 'tucked' in synoptically all f'ing summer long unrelenting and it really hasn't stopped.  If it's not a trough it's a high pressure orienting due east sticking us up the fanny with Atlantic putrid flow - like this pos that barely has mid level mechanics but manages to over perform by several standard deviations..  

These are hard extremes to explain - but an explanation is never sought when it is only ( so far..) minor enough inconveniences. 

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is folliage screwgied by our wet mild September 

About 30% change here.  My guess is a slightly below average fall coloring, but since "average" is pretty spectacular here, 2023 should be very nice.  Lots of reds beginning to show, while the leaf-browning fungus on sugar maple hurts that species' contribution.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We sun.

61°

Oh man. You lucky sob.  Look at that, it just opened up in every direction for you.   I mean it wasn't like a clearing line approached... it just evaporated.

I guess that's right on time per the super ensemble.    Hey what did you guys get for in bucket up there, compared to guidance?   This thing yesterday appears to have been one of the larger positive busts we've seen in many years - frankly an aspect that many may not be aware or care ( for that matter) due to it being uninspired non-excitable rain.   Save for NYC...But that wasn't a bust down there.