Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

4 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Depending what the models show today maybe it's time for a separate storm specific thread? The 00z UKMET was certainly interesting.

I agree: I can get this going at 5PM, pending 12z cycle. I see the 06z/NAM has gotten back on track... probably too far west but at least its sending pockets of heavy rain northward into the NYC subforum. The 06z RGEM continues on track with its 00z/27 predecessor and from what I can tell...combined with the persistent EPS (EC op has been a little east), I think this is looking like coastal NJ/extreme se NYS/LI/CT-SNE storm where widespread 1-2" with iso 4 or 5 possibly ble. The 1/4 stuff I think is reserved for e PA/Catskills, I90 and maybe extreme nw NJ.

Coastal flooding minor per NWS, but I'm thinking this evening and Wednesday evening and then potential worst of this last half of Sept, occurring Saturday mid morning high tide cycle (MDT), and possible ditto Sunday mid morning. 

• Like 7

The last 4 days of September are averaging   62degsq.(56/68) or -4.11

HW Alert???,>>>   Week 1 of October:

75degs.(66/84) or +13.

Month to date is   70.8[+0.8].     September should end at 69.7[+0.4].

Reached 62 here yesterday at 2pm.

Today:   62-66, wind ne., scattered clouds, 56 tomorrow AM.

54*(77%RH) here at 7am.     57* at 9pm.      63* at Noon.    66* at 2pm.   Reached 67* at 3pm.     63* at 8pm.

If I am not mistaken, last year's Neg NAO pattern was not classic and allowed needed high pressures to escape east. Therefore we were due to fail from a snowstorm perspective.

In the below snip, there is a ridge right through the Atlantic. If I remember correctly last year the ridge was right over us allowing the escape route east.

nao_neg.thumb.png.f2ecd65dcd82f06a8765e7da04671eeb.png

57 / 48.  Brief reprieve from the clouds and rain (18 hours).  Warm up to near 70 NE flow and still some clouds keep it cool.  Clouds back Thu (9/28) and rains back in E-WSW Fri (9/29) and to close the month Sat (9/30).  Perhaps some more heavy amounts 1 - 2+ inches is coastal and eastern areas.   

Beyond there 10/2 - 10/10 - heights up into the east with warm air - but still see onshore flow bias outside of early next week where 80s are on the menu, especially in the warmer spits.  Overall warmer - when the flow isnt onshore it will be stronger warmth.

vis_nj_anim.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

My recollection of Gloria is it wasn't all that bad. Nothingburger comes to mind. I do remember walking outside and being in the eye with bright sunshine and a rotating wall of white and grey framing a deep blue circle in the sky. That was pretty cool. 

Ton of rain where I was just west of Philly but it weakened as it paralleled the coast and drew in continental air....

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

My recollection of Gloria is it wasn't all that bad. Nothingburger comes to mind. I do remember walking outside and being in the eye with bright sunshine and a rotating wall of white and grey framing a deep blue circle in the sky. That was pretty cool. 

Had off from school. Alot of rain and wind. Lost power for half a day. But yeah unless you were on LI or new England it was just a nuisance type event

41 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We got lucky in Long Beach since Gloria hit a low tide instead of high tide. It had a higher storm surge than Irene but Irene came in  at high tide. So the actual tide levels for both storms in Long Beach were the same. The wind gusts over portions of Eastern Long Island were estimated at 100+. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Ton of rain where I was just west of Philly but it weakened as it paralleled the coast and drew in continental air....

I wasn’t born yet but my parents remember it as a very windy day with some flooding (Long Beach on LI). The eye (what was left of it) passed almost right overhead, maybe slightly east. Was much worse in Suffolk on the east side. Got devoured by the continental dry air and became your typical west side favored rain/east side windy storm. 

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Regular NAM and NAM 3K are laughably different for Friday. 3k has the rain over E LI and Cape Cod, regular NAM blasts NJ. These inverted trough type events are very fickle as we all know. 

take a wintertime norlun trough and add warm season convection. very difficult forecast 

• Like 5