Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

.13 is well below what any model had although they all started pulling back yesterday 

Yep it was a bust but I'm ok with that. Obviously we didn't need anymore rain. It has been an extremely wet pattern ever since the end of June. I enjoyed all the storms this summer, but I think I'm finally burned out on it. I'm ready for some nice dry fall weather.

Looking forward to dewpoints in the 40s the next few days, and even beyond then it looks nice. Even though the longer range looks a little warmer than normal, it's still going to be very comfortable. Next week looks like highs of 75 to 80 with dewpoints in the 50s. Beautiful fall weather settling in. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Bust bust bust, ahh bullshit. That was intense. The cross street at the end of my block looks like the local creeks after a hurricane, filled with debris and large branches that washed down the hill.

It's not just about your backyards. 

When a huge area the size of NJ has a flood watch and they get .10-.25, that is a bust.  Your backyard didn't, congrats.  

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Bust bust bust, ahh bullshit. That was intense. The cross street at the end of my block looks like the local creeks after a hurricane, filled with debris and large branches that washed down the hill.

There was supposed to be more rain. It's a bust.

44 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

If you look at it from a geographic view it was a bust.   A couple areas got big rains, but 90-95% of the subforum saw close to nothing.   

• Like 3

72 / 70 rain moved through front should clear later this pm with clearing skies, droppimg dew points and humidity.  Thu (9/14) - Sun (9/17) looks very nice with Lee well east this weekend aside from E-LI the area looks very nice.  Near normal upper 70s / near 80.  850 temps do rise from Lee so perhaps Sat or sun low 80s and a bit more humid. 

Overall odd upper flow with trough moving through 9/18-19 and  cut off ULL west and south and east coast ridging building over.  SO its overall warmer , perhaps more humid and dpending on fronts or ULL near by it could be a bit wet.   Warm close to the Sep overall

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif  

• Like 3

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 95 (2005)
NYC: 94 (1952)
LGA: 93 (1952)

Lows:

EWR: 49 (1985)
NYC: 46 (1963)
LGA: 50 (1985)

Historical:

1823: A strong category 1 or low category 2 hurricane struck near New Orleans, Louisiana and went toward Baton Rouge. Its strongest impacts occurred west of New Orleans.

1922 - The temperature at El Azizia in Libyia soared to 136 degrees to estbalish a world record. To make matters worse, a severe ghibi (dust storm) was in progress. (The Weather Channel)

1928 - Hurricane San Felipe crossed Puerto Rico resulting in the highest winds, the heaviest rains, and the greatest destruction in years. The hurricane produced much damage in the Virgin Islands, and later hit the Bahamas and Florida. (David Ludlum)

1984 - Hurricane Diana, after making a complete loop off the Carolina coast, made landfall and moved across eastern North Carolina. Diana deluged Cape Fear with more than eighteen inches of rain, and caused 78 million dollars damage in North Carolina. (Storm Data)

1987 - Showers and thunderstorms produced heavy rain in the northeastern U.S. Flooding was reported in Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Greenwood NY received 6.37 inches of rain. A dike along a creek at Prattsburg NY gave way and a two million dollar onion crop left on the ground to dry was washed away. The prolonged rains in the eastern U.S. finally came to an end late in the day as a cold front began to push the warm and humid airmass out to sea. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Hurricane Gilbert smashed into the Cayman Islands, and as it headed for the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico strenghtened into a monster hurricane, packing winds of 175 mph. The barometric pressure at the center of Gilbert reached 26.13 inches (888 mb), an all-time record for any hurricane in the Carribean, Gulf of Mexico, or the Atlantic Ocean. Gilbert covered much of the Gulf of Mexico, producing rain as far away as the Florida Keys. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Unseasonably cool weather prevailed over the Central Plains Region, with a record low of 29 degrees at North Platte NE. Unseasonably warm weather prevailed across the Pacific Northwest, with a record high of 96 degrees at Eugene OR. Thunderstorms over south Texas produced wind gusts to 69 mph at Del Rio, and two inches of rain in two hours. (National Weather Summary)

2008: Hurricane Ike made landfall as a Category 2 storm near Galveston, Texas.

2017: The NWS Office in Reno, Nevada, issued their first tornado warning since July 21st, 2014.

The thing is it wasn't a bust. I've always felt that forecasts are for potential over an area not for specific spots. I got skunked a bunch of times recently with a few tenths while others just a few miles away on either side got drenched and I didn't call "bust!" I mean, you're talking about distances of 50 miles or less, sometimes 5 miles will do it, it just depends on where the train sets up and how wide it is. 

Ehh, whatever. Let's see some dryness for a few days and we'll all be happy (except for Forky who'll be bummed because it's only gonna be 75°).

6 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep it was a bust but I'm ok with that. Obviously we didn't need anymore rain. It has been an extremely wet pattern ever since the end of June. I enjoyed all the storms this summer, but I think I'm finally burned out on it. I'm ready for some nice dry fall weather.

Looking forward to dewpoints in the 40s the next few days, and even beyond then it looks nice. Even though the longer range looks a little warmer than normal, it's still going to be very comfortable. Next week looks like highs of 75 to 80 with dewpoints in the 50s. Beautiful fall weather settling in. 

Looks like another 8 to 10 day stretch with little or no rain