• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

Holy crap what a day!!! This was probably the second time in my life having a background in weather (particularly convection) paid dividends. 

I met one of my best friends and his dad in West Hartford center for lunch. For some odd reason my phone was not working at all. In the top right corner where you see see your bars of service and network it just said 'E'. Anyways, after dinner, my friend and I were going to walk around the center. Literally maybe 2-3 minutes after leaving the restaurant there was this loud crash. Initially I was thinking fireworks but I looked around me and saw the sky. I said we had to go take cover ASAP. 

We went for cover under a parking garage and I'm trying to load radar but nothing is happening because my phone isn't working. The storm was coming at us from behind and right across the drive was a little building complex with an overhang which would face the direction the storm was coming so we went there. 

About 20 seconds after we made it under the skies opened up. The wind was blowing at us meaning we were getting the outflow from the leading edge. The storm was passing overhead and then all of a sudden the wind switched directions and was blowing at us from the back edge of the storm. As the storm was ongoing I noticed updraft features and when the wind started blowing at us from the opposite direction my inclination was the storm was strengthening and growing upscale. 

Having no phone/radar was pissing me off. I'm trying to call some people to get radar updates. I was having trouble calling out but eventually got a hold of some people. I asked them for radar updates. Exactly what I envisioned was going on was confirmed by radar. 

Got some nice gusty winds (guessing 30-35 mph gusts) and some good lightning and cracks of thunder!

• Like 7